Part 14

"What kind of story we talking?" Vanessa asked "Well Javi and I both told some relationship stories." Steve turned to look at her and saw her trying to think. "I don't really have any crazy stories." she shook her head "Come onnnn." Javier said. "Okay, okay. I have one." she began "I was 21 he was 24. I was still in college and he had a job. He did his job and did it well but he was kind of a dim bulb though, not very bright. I was bored in the relationship and really didn't want to continue being with him. No problem. Run into him a month or so later at a bar and we end up going back to his place for a night of ex-sex. Next morning he makes coffee and breakfast, I go to school, he goes to work. I get incredibly sick on the way to school, throw up multiple times, make it to school still puking find the medical office, and vaguely recall being loaded into an ambulance. At the hospital, a doctor tells me I OD'd on an enormous amount of meth and had about five minutes left to live before they figured it out. 'Oh by the way there are some federal agents here to talk to you.' Turns out he had planned this whole thing and decided that if he couldn't have me, no one could. He went to jail but got a reduced sentence for turning on the family member that was making and distributing the meth." Vanessa said and the boys just stared at her, wide-eyed. "You asked for a story and you got one." she said. "Holy shit. This was while we were in school together?" Steve asked "Yup." she nodded "So I guess we've all had some crazy relationships. Except you." Javier looked at Steve.

They all chuckled and then got quiet. "What if Father Sobrino talks?" Steve sighed "He's gonna talk." Javier looked at Steve as a car pulled up. A man came out of the car and sat in the backseat next to Vanessa where Javier treated him in Spanish.  "Sorry I'm late. I couldn't came before." the man spoke in broken English. "What do you got?" Peña asked him "Gacha's going tonight to Cartagena." the man said and the agents one by one turned to look at him. "I can help you get him." he said. "You said you had information. You didn't say Gacha." Peña spoke "I guess is your lucky day." he continued in broken English. He then explained where Gacha would be to the agents and left. Peña dropped Murphy and Barlowe off at their apartment and Barlowe immediately started getting ready as soon as she got home. "What're you getting dressed up for?" Steve asked "Just little something." she smiled as she put her boots on "And who is this little something with?" Steve smiled back with his arms crossed "Oh I don't know, maybe Javier." she said and Steve chuckled "No shit, he finally asked you out?" he questioned "Yeah, but I'm not supposed to meet him there until 10 and it's like 9." she told him as she leaned back on the sofa. "It's not a bad thing to be early." Steve told her "Well it's not like I can call him, I only have his office number." Vanessa said "Do you want me to?" he asked "No, it's fine, I can be patient for once in my life." Vanessa said "Good luck." Steve said as he went back upstairs.

Vanessa sat and stared at the clock until it finally reached 9:40. She quickly grabbed her things and rushed out of the door before driving. As she was driving she realized Peña never gave her an actual location and there were about 15 bars in the area. "This is perfect." she spoke under her breath before sighing and pulling the car over. She sat there for a moment contemplating where of all bars Javier Peña would decide to take a girl out on a date. Then it popped into her head and she turned the car back on and turned around, driving to the bar she had seen him at before. She arrived and got out of the car, as she walked up to the doors she heard someone walking next to her. "You're late." Javier said with a smile "You forgot to tell me which bar to meet you at." Vanessa told him as she opened the doors "I didn't forget anything, I wanted to see if you remembered. Clearly, you did." Javier said and Vanessa chuckled. "Well played." she nodded. They then walked over and sat down at a table and ordered drinks. "So." Vanessa began "So." Javier replied "I have no idea where I was going with that." she shook her head and Javi chuckled. 

"So Murphy tells me--" Javier began and Vanessa began to panic "that you're real into music." Javier said and Vanessa sighed in relief. "And you used to be a singer." he said with a smile "Oh god, he told you about that?" she asked while shaking her head "Why don't you sing something for me? A Vanessa Barlowe original." he said dramatically "I don't think so." she shook her head and laughed "Oh, come on!" he laughed with her "Maybe if you get me drunk enough." she told him "I'm gonna hold you to that." he pointed at her "Oh, I know you will." she smiled as their drinks arrived. A few drinks later, Vanessa was swaying to the music being played as Javier just watched, feeling completely sober. "Come on, dance with me." Vanessa said with a big smile on her face and a drink in her hand. Javier slowly stood up from his seat and followed the drunk Vanessa. "I like this song." she told him "Sure you do." he chuckled as he looked into her eyes. Everything began feeling like it was in slow motion as she looked up at him. She leaned closer to him before placing her lips on his. As taken aback as he was, Javier reciprocated. "You taste like cigarettes and whiskey." Vanessa whispered as they separated.