Part 18

"What's going on?" Ambassador Noonan asked "We have reason to believe the Medellin cartel is planning an imminent attack against Gaviria." Murphy explained "We have no intel to that effect." Wysession replied. "Maybe you should do your job instead of spying on other agency personnel." Barlowe spoke "What's she talking about?" the ambassador asked as she looked at Wysession "Nothing, ambassador." Barlowe told Ambassador Noonan. "The CIA has been so kind to give us these files but most of them are too classified to read. We need to get into the White Room." Murphy said "What's that?" Wysession's partner asked, sarcastically "Cut the shit. You're giving us these files." Barlowe cut in. "You've been reading too many spy novels." Wysession chuckled as he stood up and Barlowe scoffed. "Spy novels." she looked at Murphy "You ever read The Spaniard?" Barlowe asked as she placed the picture on the desk. "Where the hell did you get that?" Wysession asked and Barlowe shrugged "Ma'am, he's been in the country for several days." Murphy told the ambassador. "He's been escorted by one of Pablo's top sicarios." Murphy continued "Murphy and I know the CIA has intel on this man. Now, are you going to give us access or not?" Barlowe questioned "Technically, the room isn't white. It's more of a...burgundy." Wysession's partner said.

Everyone left the room except for Barlowe and of course, Ambassador Noonan.

"Good work, Agent Barlowe." Ambassador Noonan praised Barlowe. "Ambassador." Barlowe began "Agent Peña called me today, told me that he was coming to pick me up and I was crazy for doing this." Barlowe explained "You and Peña have a complicated relationship, I see. You and Murphy work very well together as you have been partners for many years. It's a hard transition to be working with someone and then someone new is added into the mix. I know Agent Peña can be difficult, very difficult. But one thing I will tell you, he doesn't lie. If he told you he is coming to take you to Cartagena, he is probably on his way right now." Ambassador Noonan said and Barlowe sighed "May I ask the specifics of why you chose to stay here?" she asked Barlowe "The other day, we went out for drinks, as coworkers." Barlowe started "Oh no. I know where this is going. You woke up in his bed. Mhm." Ambassador Noonan nodded. "The thing is, I don't remember anything and now he's pissed off that I don't? He got me drunk and is mad I don't remember anything." Barlowe shook her head and sighed "If you change your mind and want us to escort you to Cartagena, let me know. Less chaotic than having Peña come down here himself." the ambassador chuckled. Barlowe took a second to think.

"Fuck it. Murphy's smart." Barlowe said and the ambassador chuckled "Get your things, I'll call for you when you can leave." the ambassador told her.

A few hours later she was in Cartagena, trying to find Carillo or Peña. It had been a few hours until her pager had gone off. She ran to a public phone and dialed the number. "What the hell are you doing in Cartagena?" Peña asked "I figured if you weren't going to pick me up, I might as well come here myself." Barlowe told him "Where are you?" she asked "Where are you?" he replied and she gave him her location. "Just stay there, okay?" he told her before hanging up. "Why did I get myself into this?" she whispered to herself. A few minutes later Peña arrived with Carillo in the car with him. "You're not really dressed for the occasion." Peña joked as both him and Carillo had bulletproof vests on. "You're going to wait in here until we get back, okay? It's not safe otherwise." Peña told her as they arrived at a very large building. After Carillo got out of the car, Barlowe grabbed Peña's arm and kept him in the car for a moment. "What is it?" he asked "Why did you want me here so bad if you think anywhere I go is unsafe?" she asked and he paused, thinking.

"I don't know, I think I just wanted you here." he said and then got out of the car, leaving Vanessa speechless. After a good fifteen minutes in the car, Peña went over the radio asking for Vanessa. "You can come up now, Carillo will escort you." Peña told her and she furrowed her eyebrows thinking about why she was suddenly needed. Immediately after stepping out of the car, Carillo was there, leading her into the building. "I have a question. Wait." she said as Carillo stopped "What?" he asked with urgency "Why did Peña ask for me to be here?" Barlowe asked and Carillo shook his head before walking again "Carillo, wait, please." she called out and he exasperatedly groaned before turning around. "He wants to make sure you're safe and he thinks the only way to do that is to bring you on a dangerous mission but he thinks him being there will protect you. That good enough?" Carillo explained and Barlowe nodded "Let's go, then." he said and Barlowe caught up to Carillo on the balcony where he and Peña began engaging in conversation with another man.

The three of them talked for a moment before Peña and Carillo walked away from him, discreetly conversing. Out of nowhere, Peña chambered a bullet and fired into the man's knee, causing everyone's attention to be on him. After yelling back and forth in Spanish, Peña let him go and took Vanessa and Carillo back on the road. "What the fuck was that?" she asked as they got in the car and started driving. "You're coming with us to Tolu, it's where Gacha should be and I don't want you left alone here." Peña said as they drove to a rundown motel. "Come on." Peña told Barlowe as they walked inside one of the rooms. Vanessa just sat on the single bed and looked around, queitly.