Chapter 12: Three...a crowd

Hours before, back in LA...

"Get your hot dogs! Mustard! Ketchup! Relish!" called the vendor, wearing a small box that hung from his neck and rested on his abdomen.

The game came to a close. Both teams lined up for handshakes and the crowd stood to cheer. Badgers won the game by two runs. Rubio was happy for his team, but disappointed that again, he had to sit out. Even though he didn't start, the coach had him work the pitchers in the bullpen. It was a consolation prize for a backup catcher, but at least he was active. He wished he had the starting job, but pitching coach kept telling him to wait it out.

I can't wait for dude to graduate! Rubio thought, as he glanced at the senior starting catcher.

After handshakes were done, the team gathered in front of the dugout for last minute words. Coaches praised the pitching and congratulated the team on the defense. They were almost ready for the season, said the proud coach. He said they will play another friendly before the season started to give the pitchers a few more reps and give the batters more chances at working the plate. Once finished, coaches ordered for everyone to load up the bus. They were looking at a long ride back to school and no one wanted more to get back than the coaches themselves.

The seniors helped round up the troops. They called for everyone to finish loading the bus, as some of the youngsters went for chips and candy from the vending machines nearby. Rubio, Martín and Adrián were among the enthusiastic youngsters going for snacks.

The crowd was still lingering around the stands and the nearby area, as the players approached the side of the small stadium. Four pitchers, three infielders and Rubio approached the machines with enthusiasm. The boys examined the contents and chatted while deciding.

A group of girls approached the machines at the same time, giggling among themselves. They were dressed in cheerleader uniforms, but not for the opposing team. Rubio was the first one to notice them, while the pitchers went back to the bus and his friends decided on their snacks. He looked at their uniforms and figured they must've been attending the game in the adjoining field. One of the girls, the red head, approached Rubio's side.

She batted her eyelashes and stood provocatively, turning sideways, "Salut!" ("Hello!") she greeted with a smile.

"Hey!" Rubio recognized her french accent and assumed she was from French Villa, a small French speaking neighborhood just one block from the field. Most were second or third generation French descendants. It was as if time had stopped, since most of the decoration was vintage and celebrated 19th century France. People still wore dresses and suits, even to the market!

The boys continued their chit chat, but noticed the interaction between Rubio and the girl. Adrián tapped Martín on the shoulder, after they got sodas from the machine. The girls giggled around the young lady, who continued to smile at the baseball player. The girls chatted in french between themselves.

"Es-tu de cette école secondaire ?" ("Are you from this high school?") she asked, with a smile.

Ecole - Escuela, secondaire - secundaria, e tu- eres tu , he thought. (ecole- school, secondaire-secondary, eh tu- you are)

Rubio had to take a second. Thankfully his knowledge of Spanish helped. Plus, the fact that his sister loved French so much that she drove their mom crazy to get her classes, which resulted in him being her practice partner. He had to dig deep into his memory, because he was only nine or ten when he practiced Conversational French with his sister back home in the island.

"Yeah. -I mean- oui. Et -et- toi?" ("...yes. And -and- you?") he answered, stuttering

GASP

The girls gasped in surprised when they heard him speak their language. Then, they turned to each other and giggled between whispers.