Chapter Twenty

Grian sat up on his bed gasping holding his chest and coughing. It felt like something was stopping the air in the middle of his throat. It took a moment to subside and he was able to catch his breath. "Why....what...." He murmured and looked around. "What happened...." He coughed and got to his feet. "My head...."

He looked around and went to walk but fell back onto his bed. He doubled over closing his eyes tightly as his head swam. "Griannnnnn!!!!!" Pearl shouted after slamming his front door open. "Pearl be careful. He might still be recovering." Xisuma said but Pearl ran up the stairs and without giving Grian a moment to brace himself, she jumped on him hugging him tightly.

He looked at her, tensing before coughing in his arm. "Let go....." He murmured. She quickly did and sat on the floor. "I'm so sorry! I'm sorry!" She said quickly. He looked at her and then at Xisuma who was standing in the doorway. "Poison arrows....really...?" He asked coughing.

"Sorry, but we couldn't risk it...." Xisuma said after a moment. "Do you remember this time now?"

"I never forgot." He said with a scowl. "Or....a part of me didn't." He then looked at Pearl. "You did well....I'm so sorry that happened...."

Pearl sniffled and smiled softly. "Why did that happen....?" She asked looking at Xisuma. "Seeds of doubt?"

"A part of me is...scared that you all....despise or fear me....that at any moment.... I'll be booted out..." Grian replied slowly. "My professor....used that against me...and now...I don't know..." He trailed off looking at them.

"Don't know what?" The admin asked walking into the room further.

"Why do you guys try so hard to help....I know we're family at this point...but I could have killed you two. I could have permanently killed you!" He sniffled. "If I had that sword....I could have killed you two."

"But you didn't. You didn't have that sword and you weren't fully changed. You were pulling your punches." Pearl said shaking her head quickly.

"You gave her enough time to message the chat," Xisuma said and tossed him his comms. He caught it and slipped it on tightening the fastenings. "What did Calypso want?"

"She...she warned me a little too late about what my professor did...telling me to...do something...I don't remember..." Grian shrugged. Pearl went to say what she heard, but she couldn't seem to remember either.

"I...feel like I'm going to collapse....your tipped arrows are too potent for me, X...." Grian fell back on his outstretched wings. Xisuma gave a nervous chuckle. "Sorry....they normally don't last after you respawn...we'll let you sleep....come on Pearl...we should get some sleep too..."

Pearl sighed softly and nodded getting up. "And explain everything I guess...." She yawned and the two left. Though they hung around a bit to make sure he fell asleep and wouldn't fall off his bed or anything.

He slept until they left, the fireworks they set off waking him up. He groaned staring at the ceiling before chuckling. "ᓭᒷᒷ↸ᓭ 𝙹⎓ ↸𝙹⚍ʖℸ ̣ ⍑⚍⍑?" He murmured and drifted back to sleep after looking at his hands. His body hurt even when it shouldn't. I wouldn't have to worry about hurting them if I wasn't here...he thought as he slept.

The next few days, Grian kept to himself, not feeling too great to interact with anyone. He felt ill, but he didn't tell them that or they would all baby him. He built and restocked his shops, and tried to avoid the deep dark and the mycelium island. He did still talk to the others, and he felt Martyn checking up on him occasionally, but he felt too sluggish to leave his house for longer periods.

Martyn kept the others updated on his condition, he knew that much, due to the fact there was always fresh soup and health potions in a chest by his door. There was a book from Xisuma again apologising for the lingering effects of his arrows, and telling him the potions would help flush the lasting poison out. Which they did after a few days.