5

The next day, everything changed.

Dazai woke up to the sound of his ringtone. He heard Chuuya groan as he reached for the device and tossed it at Dazai. The redhead buried his face in a pillow and sighed.

Dazai wasn't expecting anything serious. Maybe Ranpo needed help at the shop or something and Poe wasn't there? Maybe Atsushi was just calling to say hi? When he saw 'Ango' displayed on the screen, he was a bit confused. The brunette pressed the green button and raised the phone to his ear.

"Osamu... Something really bad happened and..."

Dazai's eyes widened. Was Ango crying..? That couldn't be right. Something had to be extremely wrong for him to be so emotional. He'd never seen him cry. Ever.

"I don't want to tell you this over the phone. I'm at your apartment, please hurry back."

Dazai wasted no time jumping out of bed. This alerted Chuuya, who had managed to fall back asleep before the call ended. He sat straight up. "Samu, what are you doing..? Where are you going?"

"Ango called me. He said something happened," The brunette turned to look at Chuuya. "If you're still sore, you should sleep for longer. I'll call you later and tell you what happened."

"Okay. Drive safe, remember to call me..." Chuuya sighed, grabbing the collar on Dazai's shirt to pull him down a bit. He kissed his cheek. "Love you."

"Love you too."

-

"Oda... He... He's gone..."

Ango's words felt like bullets shot straight through Dazai's chest. Gone? That couldn't be right. No, this was just a bad dream.

A small sob escaped Ango's throat. The noise caught Dazai's attention and snapped him out of his thoughts.

Before Dazai could even think, tears were streaming down his face. He didn't remember getting there, but he was holding on to Ango and crying into the older male's shoulder. He could hear Ango crying as well. Could feel the tears as they dripped from his face to Dazai's head.

Somehow, Ango had calmed down enough to explain what he had heard from the police, medics, and fire department. There was a fire early that morning at the auto repair shop where Oda worked. It was a complete accident, a few things getting misplaced that caused the fire to start. Almost everyone made it out, but one person ended up inhaling too much smoke and passed out. Oda ran in to save this person, but never came back out.

Oda died a hero, like Dazai always knew he would.