6: Breaking The Ice (Messy Puddle)

Just got back to the moment of silence, Jess thought as she sat on her family table for her lunch.

Hours ago, she came down with her friends who thanked her mother for the wonderful night before they left.

Jess turned her teaspoon in her cold cup of tea as she waited for Jordan to come back from the farm.

She looked at her purple nails which jasmine fixed for her and she unconsciously touched the fake eyelashes that Eva fixed for her. At this point, staring the clock down but he didn't open that door.

"What are you doing to yourself, Jessica Waters? " She heaved a sigh of regret as she looked at her blouse. She stood up from her seat and walked towards her room.

As she opened her door and bend down on her rug to search under her bed for her new book that she was writing for the play.

"Got it!" Jess exclaimed, taking the book out from the middle of her bed but she searched for the book that the girls read. Missing. Jess guessed one of the girls, took the book for a second read like they always do.

She stood up and went down the stairs then gave herself the honor of sitting on the chair in the front porch. She found herself, biting hard on her pencil as she thought of what to write on the blank page.

After, spending nearly an hour, thinking of how to get the beginning of the book. She decided to work her way from the end then back up.

He left, that was what Jess could think of the ending. Did the boy ghost the girl? But which girl, the one who he met or the one who rescued him from himself.

Jess once found it easier to write from her imagination when she had her phone, playing songs from her playlist that helped her mind as she would write from the feelings she felt. Her mind flashed an idea.

"Unless, " Jess stopped and bit her pencil with grin at her thought. She dropped her things and ran like the wind to the only place she knew he could be now. The barn that was now used more like a shed for farming tools.

"Hello," She greeted as she entered the place.

Jordan turned to her and back to continue sawing the log of wood on the wooden table.

She walked closer to him, "Don't mind me asking but do you have a phone that I could borrow?" She asked when all she wanted to crawl into a hole in fear of rejection.

He stopped sawing and turned back to face her, "No and yes."

"What does that mean?"

"I have but I am meant to get it and the rest of my things later."

"Oh, so you have but can't give me even if you want to," Jess said, pouting in understanding of his words and her situation.

"Goodbye," She bade him as she accepted her defeat and took her leave.

She went back to the front porch disheartened at the news and decide to make herself a meal to cheer her up since mama was taking her afternoon nap thus leaving the house unattended.

Jess walked to the kitchen, opened the Fridge and took the first thing that her hands touched. A tomato. So she took a few more and began her second lunch.

She took the diced tomatoes to the blender with a couple herbs like basil, rosemary and paprika to taste.

Jess stared at her strawberry colored wristwatch, two hours had passed since she left the barn. She went to the sink and began to wipe out the mess she created in cooking a simple meal.

Soon, she served herself on the dining table and sat down with a little prayer for those who don't have food to eat and have food but cannot eat like her mother once taught her when she was still a little girl. That was years ago.