Chapter 1

I bury myself in my knees and weep softly

I bury myself in my knees and weep softly. Another nightmare. The nightmares were relentless these days. Professor Fig was the sweetest and most knowledgeable man I had ever met. In his last moments he had told me how the ancient power and wizarding world could be in no better hands. It was a heavy responsibility. I worry I will never be capable of making him proud. An image of his face flashes through my mind again and I feel the hot tears stream down my face and drip off my chin.

I fling my blankets off the bed and hop out of bed. I snatch the robe off the hook and wrap it around my nightgown. I can't sleep. If I force myself to, I'll only hop back into the nightmare again. I need space, I need space to be alone. I quietly sneak out of the Gryffindor portrait hole and cast a disillusionment charm over myself. As slowly as I can manage, I creep to the undercroft.

Stepping inside I can feel myself breathing again. Without looking around I let the tears flow and begin slashing my wand around, letting the ancient magic obliterate the crates and barrels around me. I let my anger bubble up and make the barrels pay for my loss.

"Whoa whoa, watch yourself there! I know you must be mad at me, but I don't think I deserve to end up like those crates," says a familiar voice.

I look as Sebastian reveals himself from behind a short table. I hadn't noticed him there.

"Oh," is all I manage to say. I try to compose myself, feeling the once red ancient magic simmer slightly into a bright blue flowing from the tip of my wand.

"Are you- are you alright y/n?" he asks, stepping up closer to me. He scans my face.

I use my robe to blot the tears on my face, trying to wipe away the evidence of my pain.

"y/n... You're crying," he says softly, a concerned look now spreading across his face.

I feel my throat tighten and tears begin to flow again. I can't wipe them away fast enough. Sebastian closes the space between us and take the sleeve of his robe to help me remove the tears. I let my face rest in his open palm.

"You're okay y/n. You're safe now," he says soothingly.

"I can't stop– I can't stop the nightmares," I manage to say now that I've stopped crying.

He furrows his brows. He strokes my cheek endearingly, "I'm sorry."

"Don't," I reply, not looking up at him.

"Please, y/n, I'm sorry. I know what I've done and what you've had to do for me doesn't make any of this any easier," he says intently, a look of pain showing.

"Sebastian I-"

"No. It's my fault, really. I drug you into all this. I put so much more on you than you ever deserved. And still, in the end, you kept being there for me. I didn't deserve that," Sebastian says solemnly.

    I remove my cheek from his palm and look up at him, "You did. And I would do it again Sebastian."

He looks pained. Resting his hands at his sides he says, "I can never thank you and Ominis enough. I'll work every day to make it up to you."