Chapter 8

Y/n's POV

Y/n's POV

I drum my nails against the wood of the Wampus table. 10 minutes. 10 whole minutes past the start of dinner. I swear if those two are still bickering...

"I'm certain they will come, dear. No need to fret," Professor Darling says as she is seated across from me. Every night, we all meet at the Wampus dining table for dinner. Every now and again another Professor or student aid will drop by in the recent weeks, preparing for the upcoming term. Tonight, however, it is just Professor Darling, William, and Professor Stone, all of whom picked up on my irritation the moment I entered the dining hall.

"Men. Except they act like little boys," I spat, toying my food with my fork.

"Hmph. Human males do have a pension for messing up what is good," William says gruffly, shoving a potato into his mouth.

"You're absolutely right William," I agree, poking continuously at a stray carrot.

William grins mischievously in reply. Despite a rather blunt introduction, him and I have gotten close over the past couple months. From the way he reacts to my common courtesy, I'd imagine he doesn't see much of it during the school year.

The doors to the dining hall swing open, Sebastian and Ominis stepping through together. They look better, their expressions far more calm compared to the rest of the day. Sebastian waves cheerily as he walks up to the table and sits to my right. Ominis nods at the others before placing himself to my left. The air of tension that had followed them around all day seems to have dissipated. I feel myself relax finally.

"Evening everyone. Apologies for the delay," Sebastian says, sounding far more like his usual self.

"Yes, we do apologize for the inconvenience," Ominis says politely.

"Think nothing of it," Professor Darling says sweetly, "What did you two boys think of the castle?"

The dinner conversation is pleasant. Sebastian becomes completely absorbed in Professor Stone sharing his knowledge about the tribes that helped build this school. Ominis manages to carry a simple conversation back and forth with Professor Darling while William and discuss the upcoming term. After eating our fill, the desserts being the most magnificent of the entire meal, we all lazily lay back in our seats as the food coma lingers over us all.

"I am thankful to have finally met you both. Y/n here speaks very highly of you both," Professor Darling says, eyeing the boys with a smirk.

I blush and look over to see both Ominis and Sebastian's faces flushing pink as well.

"From what I can sense, she has chosen two very good men to keep in her company," Professor Stone adds, giving a small grin.

"Thank you, sir," Sebastian replies.

"If anything we've to thank you. You two have been an incredible support to her for so long. We hope you continue to visit even once term begins. You will both always be welcome to return," Professor Darling says in her usual airy voice.