CHAPTER ELEVEN

JULY 6TH
ANTHONY

My mom is ordering the catering and decorators around as I sit at the table with everyone. My parents' backyard is all decked out for Anna's graduation party. She went all out for her and I approve. Anna deserves to celebrate her accomplishments and hard work.

My nerves are all over the place. The day has finally come and I'm meeting her today. I don't know what to expect or how to react. We've been texting for the past year, but what if it's awkward? What if she hates me? What if I'm not her type? What if this ruins my relationship with Matteo? I won't and can't let that happen. I'll make her love me. Because I know I'm already falling for her.

Nico kicks my leg, "Can you stop, the table is shaking."

I pull my leg back and bite my nails instead, "I'm nervous."

My sister laughs from beside me, "What's there to be nervous about?"

"What if she hates me? What if she hates me so much she won't let me see Matteo anymore? Do you think she'll take him away? I love him too much. I can't let that happen." I pout.

The traitors all burst out laughing.

"Calm down, you'll be fine. Want some advice?" Luca asks.

I look at him waiting, nodding my head. Hopeful.

"Just don't speak." He deadpans.

I roll my eyes and punch his arm while everyone laughs.

The second I see Matteo running towards me, my mood instantly lifts, "Ant! Ant! Ant!"

I run and meet him halfway, picking him up, and spinning him around in the air. Placing him on my hip, I walk back towards the group. Looking at him, I can't believe he's 1 year and 7 months already. His loose curly hair hanging all over his face and wide green eyes staring up at me. "You just keep getting bigger and bigger every time I see you." I tickle his stomach, making him giggle. My top favorite sound in the world.

Amelia throws her arms out, trying to grab him from me, but he shouts, "No!" And his grip on my shirt tightens.

"You're supposed to love me too!" She huffs and reaches over to tickle him. He squirms and kicks in my arms with uncontested laughter.

I'm so distracted by Matteo that I don't hear the footsteps coming from behind me until Matteo peaks over my shoulder and screams, "Mama! Mama!"

Everyone turns to look behind me. I take a deep breath, preparing myself for what comes next. I turn around slowly and everything happens in slow motion as the music cuts out.

My breath catches in my throat. The light sandy blonde hair. The big hazel eyes. The dimples. The girl that I never forgot. Looking more beautiful than I last remember. Is standing in front of me. She's Anna. And she's been here all along.

When she catches my eyes, the color drains from her face.

I'm trying to form words, but nothing comes out every time I open my mouth.

"I..."

Matteo squirms in my arms wanting to be let down. When his feet touch the floor, he runs to her. When she picks him up, she looks back up at me with worry.

I look back and forth between them. I see it. The resemblance. His dark brown hair and green eyes. His age. Everything clicks into place.

I swallow, "He's mine."

She bites her lips and nods. It's all the confirmation I needed.

Feeling a mix of emotions, I let out the breath I've been holding in. "Let's go talk inside." I take confident steps to both of them and look at my son. I have a son. Tickling him, "Go find nonna, she has snacks for you." He nods and runs off to my mom. I walk straight to the house, not looking back once, knowing she's following behind me.