CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

ANNA

I groan as I shift around. I feel a hot body press to my side and his arms wrapped around me tighten. I poke Anthony, "Babe."

His body shoots up, and he sighs of relief when he sees me awake. "Hey angel, how are you feeling?"

"How did I get here?" I look around confused.

"You passed out in the cafeteria. You've been asleep for two hours. They said it was exhaustion." He looks at me worried.

"I.."

And then it hits me all at once. The lawyer. My mom's letter. The truth about my existence. The tears come and I try to speak, but the words won't come out.

He grabs me and pulls me into his chest, rubbing his hands down my back, "Sh.. It's okay baby, you're okay."

I'm full on bawling my eyes out, the tears won't stop coming. He holds me tighter as I let everything out.

I don't know how long I've been crying for until there's a knock at the door. I wipe my eyes as I see Amelia walking in. She shuts the door and sits down next to my bed.

She hesitates, "I need to tell you something."

"Do you want privacy?" Anthony asks.

I shake my head, "Stay please."

He nods and holds me as we wait for Amelia to start.

"I read the letter." My eyes look down at my hands as she sighs. "What I have to tell you, I'm going to have to start at the beginning."

I nod my head.

"You know how I told you about my work, That I find missing children?" I nod. "Right. Exactly a year ago, my papa came to me asking me to find someone. It was impossible. I've worked on it every single day and every piece of information I had was a dead end." She takes hold of my hand, and rubs the back of my hand with her thumb. "Your mom's letter was the clue that I needed to solve it."

I looked up at her in shock, "I.."

She cuts me off, "I know who your real parents are."

"Wait, your real parents?"

I swallow and nod.

"Is it okay if I give Anthony the letter to read?"

I hesitantly answer, "Yeah."

She hands him the letter. I can feel his body tense beside me as he reaches the end of the letter.

He puts the letter down, and grabs hold of my head and pulls me into him. The tears come again as he tries his best to comfort me.

I wipe my tears as I ask her, "So you know who my parents are."

"I do. I did a DNA test while you were sleeping to confirm it. It was a 99.99% match. They know, but I told them to give you time to process everything first before approaching you."

"I..." I bite my bottom lip. "Who?"

"Did you read the name on your hospital band?"

I shake my head, "No, I passed out when I saw the hospital name." I look around the room. "This hospital."

She gives me a gentle smile, "Your real name is Anna Santini."

Anthony breathe catches in his throat beside me, letting out a quiet, "Fuck."

I look over at him confused, and back to Amelia to continue.

"We're related." She gives my hand a small squeeze. "You're my distant cousin."