CHAPTER SIXTEEN

MARCH 20TH
ANNA

"So how's it been living with Anthony?" She smirks at me.

I blush, "Good."

"How good?" She arches a brow at me.

I hide my face in my hands. "He's been really good to Matteo."

"Just Matteo huh?" She teases.

"Fine. Me too. He's good to me too."

She pulls my hand away from my face, and holds it, smiling at me, "It makes me happy seeing you both happy together. You guys are really good together."

"Thank you. He makes me really happy."

"You still owe me $100. I was right, you know."

I groan. "Fine, I'll get it for you."

She bursts into laughter as I roll my eyes.

Changing topics, "How is it being newlyweds?"

A dreamy smile appears on her face, "It's been wonderful. He's been a bit more possessive, but I love it. I can't wait until you and Anthony tie the know"

I sigh. "We haven't really talked about it."

She tilts her head, "Why not?"

"I'm too scared to bring it up? I don't want to make him feel like I'm rushing him."

"But you want it."

I shrug my shoulders. "Not anytime soon, but in the future, yes."

"The length of your relationship doesn't matter as long as you do it when you're both ready. You guys both love each other and are raising a beautiful son together."

I nod my head.

She takes my hand again, "Talk to him, see where his head is at. Ask for that reassurance. You deserve to know. And who knows, what if he's too scared because he doesn't want to rush you either."

I sigh, "You're right. I'll talk to him when I get the chance."

"I know I'm right." She gives me a reassuring smile.

I shake my head and smile at her. "My break ends in 5 minutes, I'll see you this weekend at the family brunch?"

She nods her head and pulls me into a hug. I wave as we separate.

I'm dumping my lunch tray in the trash when an older man in a suit approaches me. "Ms. Hayes?

I looked up at him, "Yes?"

"I'm David Adams." His hand reached out to shake mine. I give him a small shake before letting go. "I was your late mothers lawyer."

"I.. What are you doing here?" I look at him confused.

"I tried to find you at your old foster home when you turned 18, but by then, you were already gone."

I nod, "I left for college early."

"Right. For legal reasons, it was impossible to find you after. I forgot about it until I saw a newsletter of you winning the award for this hospital. When I saw your name, I remembered your mom gave me one last task, and I wanted to honor her wishes." He reaches into his jacket and pulls out an envelope, handing it to me. "Your mom wanted me to give this to you on your 18th birthday. She said it was important. I'm sorry I was 5 years late."

I look at the letter with my name written on it. "Thank you."

"I wish you well, goodbye Ms. Hayes."