Chapter 10

Tanjiro's POV

Shame burnt on my face, clear as day. Like letters spelling 'cheater' on my forehead. What is wrong with me? Trying to kiss Muichiro like that. What in the world possessed my body? It felt worse to me that Muichiro didn't push me away or debate. I couldn't help but think that Muichiro might have felt pressured or scared, and just couldn't voice it.

I am a terrible person. I should be put in jail for sexual harassment. I don't even know if I can ever look at him again. A reminder that I was about to cheat on my girlfriend was dragging me along the path of the park. What was this reminder, exactly? My girlfriend herself. She didn't look mad, but I could sense it, I could smell and furious scent, so angry it could appear on an attack helicopter radar. It was scary, but not as scary as harassing my friend.

I don't want to call him friend anymore. I want to call him something else. But that would be wrong, and it would hurt Kanao. So I suffer in silence at the missing presence of Muichiro. I don't know if I should consider it suffering, because of the fact that I might never be able to face him again.

A small tear shimmied its way down Kanao's cheek, and I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her close.

"I'm sorry." I whisper into her ear, her lavender shampoo burning my nostrils and me wishing I could be hugging Muichiro, because he's the one who needs an apology more. "Kanao, I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me. I'm so, so, truly sorry. I cannot ask for your forgiveness, because that wouldn't be fair to you. But I hope that you find it in your heart to understand how much I regret."

She looks up teary-eyed, and covers her face with her hands, crying into them softly. I hug her again, pressing her face into my chest, absorbing the sobs. This didn't feel right to me. This felt like yet another type of manipulation. I lifted up her face and planted a kiss on her forehead, trying my best to avoid physically cringing. The imagination that this was Muichiro, and that I planted a kiss on him, made me cry too. But Kanao doesn't need to know that that's what it's about. I felt downright disgusting, and I wanted to crawl into a hole and die. This powerful feeling of guilt, stronger than ever before, surged through my veins. I hurt two people that were ever so important to me, and it felt as if I could never get over such a horrifying crime.

We walked back to the group slowly, Kanao still crying her eyes out like waterfalls, the guilt sinking in to the 5th power, worse than before, if that's even possible.

Kanao's POV ((sorry that Tanjiro's POV was so short, but I guess we're here now.))

Jealousy.

It was never a good feeling. It felt horrible at every angle and degree. And I guess that Muichiro didn't take the message I left for him on his driveway seriously. Well, obviously not. I'm not a murderer, but I want to kill this son of a bitch. I never want to see his face again. I sob for attention, and feel happy when my secret wish has been granted. Hopefully I make Tanjiro stay away from ever harming me again. AKA, never ever contacting with Muchiro after this moment. Ever.

I smirked on the car ride home, and Kanae gave me a concerned look from the rear view mirror. "Are you okay?" She asked, probably acknowledging the tear marks that stained my face.

"Yea. It's nothing." I dismiss, looking out the window to the snow that was pilling on the side of the road. I wonder how I could make Muichiro look as bad as possible, ruining his chances of ever getting with Tanjiro. It clicked in my mind, and I stifled an evil cackle. As we turned to the driveway of my house, I continued to ponder on how I should execute this. Lie, perhaps. Lying has gotten me to great lengths before. Why wouldn't it now? I get out of the car once it pulls to a stop, and walk into a busy kitchen. Aoi stirred frantically at the beef stew, as Naho washed the dishes and Sumi and Kiyo carried the laundry over to the laundry room, which was in the kitchen. Shinobu typed furiously on her laptop, and I sneaked behind her to observe. Her medical team were trying to make a new medicine, and I watched the words form on the screen rapidly.