Chapter 18

Muichiro's POV

I was awoken yet again in the same morning, but instead of by myself, it was by...

Tanjiro's Mom.

For your information, yes, we were still... that.

"H-hey, uh.... Tanjiro! And.. Muichiro?" She laughed nervously in the doorway, and my eyes flung open at the sound. I didn't dare move a muscle. "I um... I was going to come say that I made breakfast!" She left and shut the door behind her, and I turned around, observing that Tanjiro was still asleep.

"Tanjiro," I whispered, trying to get his attention. "Your mom literally just walked in." His eyes fluttered open sleepily. 

"Who-what?" He grumbles, checking the time. "Oh. 10 am. What's were you saying?" He sat up, brushing his hair back with his fingers. I sighed, not wanting to repeat such an embarrassing piece of information.

"You're uh, your mom just walked in on us snuggling." I cringed, and he was suddenly much more awake. 

"Oh. Shit. Um." I nodded, watching him as he dragged his hand down his face. "What'd she say?" He asked, rubbing his eyes. 

"Breakfast's ready." I said, hearing a soft grumble coming from my stomach. He sighed, lifting himself up. 

"I guess we'll have to go then..." I followed him out of his room, and down the winding steps. We approached an awfully quiet dining table, were the rest of the family was eating.

"Good morning..." Kie eyed me up and down suspiciously as I sat down with Tanjiro at the table. She cleared her throat. "So, how was the dance, Nezuko?" She smiled sweetly, clearly wishing to avert her thoughts from what she witnessed before.

"Boring." She replied simply, glancing at Tanjiro ever so often. "You guys weren't there." She nodded her head over to us, and I felt eyes turn to look at me. 

"How come?" Tanjiro's dad asked, scraping of whatever was left of the scrambled eggs on his plate.

"No reason." Tanjiro mumbled, staring at his plate. "We just didn't want to go. That's all." Tanjiro's dad raised his eyebrow, before turning to me. 

"How about you? What's your name? Are you a friend of Tanjiro's? Are you in his class?" He questioned, throwing too many things at me, making me feel all itchy inside. I sat silent for a moment, but Tanjiro's family was patient, not planning on giving up on me that easily.

"I didn't, either. I'm Muichiro. Yea, I'm a friend of Tanjiro's. No, I'm not in his class." I said after a while, and saw Tanjiro grimace at the words 'friend' while I was talking. I guess that was understandable, but to be fair, we never established a relationship yet. Despite how much I wanted one. Maybe eventually I'll ask him.

Tanjiro gazed over at my plate, probably to check if it's empty. He shot me a look. Did you finish eating? I glanced at him for just a moment. Yea. "Thank you for the food." Tanjiro smiled, picking up his plate and walking over to the garbage, clearing off any extra scraps before placing it into the sink. I thanked Kie and did the same.

"You're welcome..." Kie said, watching us turn the corner. I think she might have a clue to what's going on, and I think Tanjuro will as well, soon enough. She'll probably tell him, anyway.

...

It was Sunday now, and I already missed Tanjiro, despite leaving his house 20 hours and 17 minutes ago. Yes, I was counting. It's not weird...

I skimmed the page of my book, before glancing across the hall to Yuichiro's room. Surprised when a girl walked out. It was a girl from my school. One of the ones that makes fun of me. "Bye babe!" She grinned as she set her foot out the door, before lifting up her gaze to meet mine. She stopped moving. "Oh... is this your brother?" She asked, glancing back at Yuichiro.