Chapter 1: No Peace

After the rescue mission, all deaths and equipment expenses were tallied.

Everything was deathly silent as we got everything together for our trip back to Trost.

In total, the Scouts had lost half of the Veteran Contingent, and wracked up an equipment cost of at least half the Capitals payments for the King's meals.

That was more than enough to feed everyone in the walls three times over.

The Military Police had lost more than the majority of soldiers they sent out. Only a handful made it out, but I didn't bother counting them.

It wasn't that I didn't feel bad for them. I really did. They just weren't a part of my regiment. Their numbers didn't effect my regiment too much, so what was the point?

Out of the one-hundred soldiers that went beyond the walls, only fourth or so returned.

Ymir, the Titan shifter I didn't even consider, had turned back to help Reiner and Bertholdt at the last minute according to Historia and Connie.

So did that mean she was a pawn? Or was she the leader? Somehow, I didn't see her being the head of operations. Her temper was too wild when we first met.

We still don't know why she did it, and I've decided to stop trying. There is no point trying to solve an impossible puzzle.

I knew very little of Ymir, but what little I did know led me to believe that she had motives of her own.

Now, what those were? I didn't care. She made her choice, and because of that choice Historia was devastated. I was just trying to live by Levi's advice, and live presently.

I was trying to make the most of it before we got overwhelmed again. It was bound to happen at some point.

The only thing that truly bothered me, was the fact that Ymir's decision hurt Historia so much. Clearly, the petite girl held some deep emotional connection to Ymir; it almost seemed romantic.

Whether it was romantic or not, why would she leave with the opposite party? Why not remain with your partner?

I know I would pick my partner any day. So why? Was there something bigger at work here?

I let loose a sigh.

No matter what was said or done, everyone was dealing with their own bout of emotions.

For starters, I was feeling exhausted, sickly, and defeated.

Pushed beyond boundaries, my body was shaking and my mind was heavy. My stomach was clenched uncomfortably, and I couldn't help but worry about Erwin.

He had lost an arm, and would surely feel awful for the next few weeks.

Hell, I had to make it all up to him somehow. The man never took my advice and warnings, only because he didn't want me to get hurt. If the Military Police ever knew I had certain information or interests, then they'd come for me.

I drastically misunderstood my friend and lashed out on him when he was suffering a worse fate.

He had to be silent and bear the pain - no the crushing weight - on his shoulders.

This life was so cruel.

Towards everyone, even children.

Hannes was gone, which meant that three teens I knew the most, were suffering a severe loss.

Eren hadn't said a word upon returning, and I couldn't blame him. He had been through so much already, and he'd have to talk about it.

He would have to relive it. He'd probably be discouraged, but I couldn't really help him pick himself up.