Chapter 7: Life Changing

Warning: description of death.

The moment Levi lifted his arm and launched his blade at Kenny, I made myself scarce.

I couldn't be a distraction for Levi.

Staying could get him killed, so I needed to distance myself without taking myself completely out of the equation.

"Boom!" A shot followed Kenny's voice, but I didn't turn around to see what was happening.

Levi had told me the gravity of the situation early, knowing that I would need time to process it. However, I was still struggling.

He told me, and had faith, that I would do what was necessary.

Levi trusted me enough to survive this, I had to live up to that. I had to stay alive. Chances were, I would have to take someone's life.

Could I actually do it? How would that affect me? Would I even be in the right?

I shook my head and stopped, slipping slightly as I pushed myself behind another chimney.

This is going to be one of the stupidest and most reckless things I have ever done.

I waited until Levi passed me, then launched myself straight into Kenny with a grunt, pushing him into a building, then fleeing the scene as fast as my gear would allow.

Levi had disappeared, but there were plenty of gunshots telling me he was being hunted and shot at not too far away.

"That wasn't a very nice thing ya did, little mouse," Kenny's rough voice called out, sending a violent chill through my body. "But I will say that'cha have guts. Gonna have to spill 'em though."

My mind flew with focus and overloaded my fear, pulling myself harshly to the side just in time to avoid getting shot in the head. My ears weren't spared as a ringing sound filled my mind ruthlessly.

The ring around my neck slipped from under my shirt and dangled in the air as I planted myself roughly across from Kenny on the opposite building.

His eyes found it and narrowed in the slightest. Scared to move, I left it alone and kept watching the man across from me.

"I wasn't aiming to be nice, just as it appears you weren't aiming to kill me apparently. Someone so well renowned wouldn't miss. Seems like the rumors were an exaggeration." I sassed sharply, giving him a mean glare. Faking my confidence.

"Oh ho ho, gotta sharp tongue there girly. Let me cut it out for ya!" He aimed for me again, a giant grin on his face.

This was his form of entertainment.

I redeployed my hooks off to the side and pushed myself off the wall as Kenny pulled the trigger.

A hole was punched into the building where I once was with ease.

"Can't cut it out if I have no head, dumbass!" I shouted, disappearing around the corner as fast as I could.

He didn't pursue me, which meant he was going after Levi.

Instantly, I circled back and went in the same direction, keeping my eyes open.

However, that wasn't enough. Someone was waiting for me just down the street from a bar.

They had the small area surrounded, and I was ambushed by one single person.

That's definitely unexpected.

I dodged just barely as a shot whizzed past my head, leaving a cut on my shoulder from one of the small metal pellets in the round, and a chunk of hair missing from the powerful blast.