28 | Knives and liquor

TW: mentions of suicide
Sorry in advance

Eden POV

The first thing I notice is the weight being pressed down on my chest. I flinch awake and immediately look down.

Alex is no longer asleep but playing with the hem of my t-shirt. I pull it away from him and let go.

After Alex hugged me, he cried himself to sleep, and long after I was out after him.

The sun has barely risen and it's kind of dark outside. I look at the clock which says it's 4:37 am.

I lay my head back down on the pillow and run my hand over my face.

His arms start to squeeze as I feel his tears soil my shirt. I sit up, resting my back on the headboard. Alex looks up at me like I'm a ghost, which to him I probably seem like one.

When we were younger, our house was the place where we all hung out but it wasn't just the 4 of us then. It was six. Me, Adalia, Alex, Ariel, Everett, and Carla. That was before he went to private school and she turned into a complete bitch.

Anyway when we were younger, if one of us was upset then we would sit in this position and talk or not talk.

I connect my fingers to stop the urge or run my fingers through my hair.

"I missed you." He whispers, barely audible.

"I did too." I press my fingers into my knuckles. "She didn't even hug me."

"She wanted to. It would probably hurt too much." His hand slides up the pillow and meets the outside of mine. He disconnects his and reconnects his.

I don't say anything as I stare down at our hands. Silence takes over my room and I'm too scared to do anything to jeopardize this. I was so focused on his hand that I didn't realize that he turned to lay on his stomach and is now staring at me.

"A-Alex-" He snatches his hand away and I go to apologize. Instead of moving away, he put his hands on either side of me so that he was hovering over me. Now he's in my face and there is so much emotion in his eyes. I've missed just looking at him.

"Why?" His gaze doesn't waver as he continues to stare.

"I'm sorry." I apologized, scared he'll leave.

"Why did you leave us, Eden?" Alex won't look away."Why did you leave me."

"Alex." Nothing could have prepared me for what he did next. I have never tensed so unbearably in my life. And I don't know what to do with my hands.

He looked me directly in the eyes before sucking in a shaky breath. He lifted his hand to move it closer and his lips slammed into mine, catching me completely off guard.

I couldn't close my eyes until I reluctantly relaxed into him. My hands were squeezing the pillow behind me, afraid to do anything to mess this up.

He pulls away but keeps his eyes closed. When he moves forward, I move back, leaning my head against the headboard. I feel his breath on my ear. "Relax, Eden." Alex grabs my hands, lifting them from the pillow, forcing me to relax into the bed. He finally opens his eyes to lift my hands above my head, restricting my use of them.

When his lips descended onto mine, I was more relaxed to move my mouth in the same rhythm that he did. But the more I relaxed, the tighter his grip got.

His mouth was like the beeping sound a ticking bomb made. The more time spent,  the quicker it got. He let go of my right hand and brushed his hair back. His hand went to the side of my cheek and down my chest tantalizingly slow.