❃ 3 ❃

~Past Life~ (Age: 20)

"Is there something troubling you, your highness?" Inquired my knight as he observed my quiet and stern demeanor ever since I stepped out from my father's study just moments ago.

My knight, Seungmin, is a childhood friend of mine and vowed to become my personal knight ever since we were children and remained true to his word by training relentlessly until the day came when I chose him.

"The Crown Prince is requesting my hand in marriage," I grumbled as I gazed out the window panes that I walked past in the hallway.

"Did you... accept?"

"Of course I didn't!" I whipped my head over my shoulder and raised my voice. "I don't even like him!"

His eyes widened momentarily at my sudden outburst and he couldn't help but laugh under his breath. "It's rare to see you lose your cool inside the palace."

"Oh it might happen more often now," I lightly warned. "My parents have always cared about my happiness, but they think it's time I start finding a suitable partner who happens to be no other than the Crown Prince who always proclaimed that he would marry me when we were older. It's not fair that I'm being pushed into this marriage. Why can't I choose my own happiness?"

I sadly gazed at Seungmin with a small ache in my heart as I reached my hand out and gently held his fingers.

He quickly pulled his hand away and cleared his throat with eyes shifting around before he whispered, "We're inside the palace, your highness. Anyone could have seen that."

"I'm sorry," I sighed and lightly scolded myself for being careless.

'A knight and a princess? There's no way people would accept that.'

Although the two of us have been secretly dating for a year, it would be a huge scandal if people were to find out about us. We did our best to remain cautious with the way we behave and interact inside the palace walls.

There were less peering eyes in my wing of the palace and that allowed us to have some freedom, but there was one place that was completely off limits to everyone where the two of us could truly act as we please.

I walked on over to my side of the palace and made my way outside where I walked in between two luscious green hedges. The hedges served as a wall that surrounded and entrapped me in my garden. I walked down a familiar cobblestone path with white pergolas that were wrapped in vines and purple flowers that shielded me from the bright sun.

Once I reached the end of the short path, I inhaled the scent of blooming flowers and contently exhaled as I slowly started to feel at ease with the sound of trickling water coming from the three tiered fountain reached my ears.

My parents created this garden for me as a means for privacy and a safe haven where I could have some solitude from my palace duties. This garden of mine is something I cherish and it is truly calming and beautiful. But the best part of this was the open field of lavender flowers that outstretched itself for a mile and the clear view of the sun painting the sky and setting itself below the horizon.

"My favorite thing was running through these field of flowers with you when we were younger," I faintly smiled as I could vividly envision us sprawled out on the ground with our laughter echoing in the air.

"Shall we go down memory lane?" He suggested as held out his hand for me to take.

"Anything with you." I placed my hand on top of his and he gently placed a flower behind my ear before he pulled me towards him as we escaped in our own world.

'Time might separate someday, but for now, let's stay together.'