Fate

The plan was set. 

The day was set. 

She was ready. 

They were all ready. 

***

"I know I'm probably just talking to a tree right now." Jake crouched down in front of Vitrautral. "But if you're there, I need to give you a heads up." He connected his queue to a group of strands. 

"If Grace is with you, look into her memories. See the world that we come from. There's no green there." He shook his head. "They killed their Mother, and they're gonna do the same here."

How many more soldiers are available on Earth? How many trees are on Pandora? 

"More Sky People are gonna come." His tone was final. "They're gonna come like a rain that never ends. Unless we stop them."

He didn't notice Ilhia creeping up behind him, too absorbed in his feelings for the planet and its people. 

"Look, you chose me for something. I will stand and fight, you know I will." He gave a little chuckle. "But I need a little help here."

Ilhia sidestepped a low hanging strand and placed a hand on his shoulder. He disconnected from the tree and began to stand. 

"Our Great Mother will always provide, ma Jake. But she does not take sides." She cocked her head as she looked at her mate. "She protects only the balance of life." 

He was terrified. Terrified of losing her. Terrified of losing this body and this life. Her logic made sense, but it did nothing to squash his fear. 

"It was worth a try."

He pulled her into a hug and didn't want to let go.

***

She looked at Neytiri one last time. They were all clinging onto the side of the mountain, ikrans making little nervous noises. Ilhia patted Txi'a on the throat, gently shushing her. 

Ikrans can always sense the nerves through the bond. 

She looked over at Jake. He looked fierce, the war paint she'd put on him contrasting with his skin. He offered her a small smile, which she returned, and unconsciously put her palm to her chest, remembering how his hand felt when he put her paint on. 

The low rumble of engines echoed through the mountains. Ilhia took a deep, trembly breath. 

This was war.

The sound grew closer and closer. 

"Let's go, babygirl." 

She flashed Jake a smile, and silently dropped from the side of the mountain, Txi'a doing a loop in the air before getting in line behind Jake and Tsu'tey, Neytiri to her left. 

Jake started hooting, Neytiri ululating and Tsu'tey shouting words that she couldn't make out. Encouragement. 

Ikeyni, leader of the Tayrangi clan, dropped to follow in suit behind them, hooting and hollering. 

She felt the energy of the clans as they all descended, following her Jake and Tsu'tey. 

"Brother, I'm gonna punch a hole, you follow me through." 

The voice came through the piece that Jake had got herself, Tsu'tey, Neytiri, Norm, and a human called Trudy, who was flying one of the helicopters. Hers was painted in a dark blue, and the Na'vi had been told that it was friendly. 

She wasn't sure about the neckpiece though. Neytiri and Tsu'tey had adapted to it better than she had. 

Txi'a flew on autopilot as Ilhia readied her bow.