Inappropriate

Ilhia woke up with a groan, the front of her head pounding. She gently touched her forehead and closed her eyes with a grimace. 

The morning after was not always pleasant. She would have to increase her water intake today. It always happened. 

Her mother usually provided some kind of drink that cured it immediately, but after last night's antics, she wasn't so sure that she'd be kind enough to give it to her.

Despite swoa being incredibly potent, Ilhia never lost her memories like some of the other clan members described. She just got irresponsible instead, and had to face the music of her actions in the morning. 

Like human-dancing with Jake Sully in front of the entire clan, and her mother and father. 

Once he was Omatikaya it would be fine. She hoped. 

She and her mother never had the kind of discussion that her mother and Neytiri had after Sylwanin had died. She'd never had the discussion before Sylwanin had died either. 

Since her older sisters had the responsibility of becoming Tsahik, and their mate was chosen for them, she never had to worry about any of that. Her mother and father never said that they would arrange a mate for her, because her role in the clan would not be that significant once Neytiri was Tsahik and Tsu'tey was Olo'eyktan. 

So, realistically, she had the right to choose whoever she wanted. 

Sometimes reality doesn't go the right way though. 

A soft chuckle made her open her eyes. She couldn't see Jake in his nivi. She rolled onto her back, and spotted him sitting at the end of her nivi, evidently waiting for her to wake up.

"What is so funny?" she demanded, pulling back the leaves to get out of bed. 

"The student becomes the teacher," Jake replied, a grin on his face. He took her extended hand and helped her onto solid wood. 

"I do not understand, Jake. You have completed most of your lessons. I am no longer your teacher."

His smile didn't falter. "Once upon a time, in this very exact spot, sat a girl called Ilhia waiting for a boy called Jake to wake from his slumber, and when he did wake, he thought that she'd send him back to sleep with how murderous her expression was." 

"Murderous? Me?" Ilhia laughed a little bit. "I am feeling murderous now, Jake. I need food too much. I am skin and bone."

"Let's go get breakfast," he said, moving aside so she could walk in front of him.

"You think you are being slick, don't you?" 

"Huh?"

Ilhia stopped and turned, catching him in the very act she was about to accuse him of. "Grace has informed me of how much human men like bums," she announced, giggling at his blank face before beginning to walk again, going down a spiral for food.

"No comment," he muttered behind her. She felt her tail being grabbed and spun around to slap him. He was smirking, and caught her wrist with ease before it made contact. "I know you too well now, babygirl. You can't catch me out." 

She hmmphed. "We will see about that, skxawng."

Breakfast was surprisingly uneventful, considering what happened the night before. Her mother barely looked at her and her father was engaged in a conversation with one of the warriors Tsu'tey was friends with. She felt no contempt from the Tsahik, and decided either she had not seen them dance or she didn't really care. 

Neytiri, on the other hand, seemed very pleased with herself. She ate her food with a smile on her face and kept looking at Jake. 

Possession clawed at her throat. She didn't like it one bit. She'd told her sister where she stood, but at the end of the day, she couldn't force Jake to be with her. Neytiri was supposed to be Tsahik, but Tsu'tey didn't love her. Not in the way that someone wanted to be loved. 

She decided in that instance, Neytiri deserved to be happy, and if Jake Sully was the one to give it to her, so be it. Ilhia could be Tsahik. She and Tsu'tey got along. And although the idea didn't thrill her, she could persevere. 

Sylwanin's death had almost destroyed her, so the least Ilhia could do was provide some chance of happiness. 

"Ma tsmuke seems very happy this morning," she noted, watching Jake through the corner of her eye as she peeled the skin from her fruit. 

"I didn't notice," he admitted, picking up some of his own fruit. "Any reason, you know?"

"I do not." 

Silence fell, and for the first time in a long time, it seemed awkward. 

"Everything okay?" Jake asked, his voice light. She could feel his stare on the side of her head. 

"Of course."

"Did I do something..?" 

"No! Did you have fun last night?" 

She was stalling and changing the subject. She knew it, and from the look on Jake's face, he knew it too. 

"Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Haven't been to anything like it before." He knocked her knee with his own. "Liked dancing with you."

His tone had lowered, and she glanced at him. His lips were slightly parted, and his eyes were half open, his gaze focused on her mouth. 

Heat washed over her body and she made a point of not looking at him. "Stop, ma Jake."

"Stop what?" 

"What is the word.. kelha'?" She looked around for Grace in desperation, but neither she nor the other scientist were in sight. She exclaimed in annoyance. 

Jake was laughing at her, and she refused to look at him. She may not know much, but that look? That look meant trouble. 

"Proportionate? I cannot remember, Jake, stop laughing at me!"

"Appropriate?" he suggested, a wide grin splayed on his face. 

She set down her food and pushed him with all her might. "Inappropriate!" she whisper-shouted, bursting into laughter when he fell backwards onto his butt. "Besides, I do not remember dancing with you. I do not remember much."

His face fell for a split second, and Ilhia almost felt bad for lying. She was usually quite honest with everyone, but this was something she felt he didn't need to know.

It scared her, how much she liked him. She hoped to Eywa that he might feel the same, but fate was funny in that way.