Kurkung

She was at the edge of the beach, watching her mate try and fail to master riding a tsurak, when she saw a lone distant figure in the sky. It was early in the morning, another day passed as they all tried to fit in with the Metkayina clan. Jake had tried the day before to master the skimwing, but he hadn't done it yet. 

The kids had been with Tsireya and Aonung the day before, as well as Rotxo, exploring the sea. Kiri had told her of a sea creature called an ilu, and Tuk had been beside herself with excitement at the idea of having her own ilu. 

She had mostly kept to herself, she and Ätopä. Ilhia had sought out the Tsahik the day before to apologise for her behaviour and to thank her for allowing her family to stay with them. Ronal had stiffly accepted it, and then had bluntly asked if Ilhia wanted to help her weave a big basket for caught fish. She guessed she hadn't been the only one who had been told to make friends. 

Her eyes narrowed as she tried to make out the figure. At first she thought it was a bird of some description, but it was too large for that. And then an arm was raised, and she knew immediately. 

"Leypa!" she hollered, waving her own arms. His ikran called out a greeting as they got closer. 

"Leypa!" she heard Jake yell, saw him bounding out of the water, Tonowari not far behind him. 

Her son. Her son was alive and well. 

"Hey!" he shouted, Meyke landing in the water. He jumped from her back and was in Ilhia's arms in seconds. The two were nearly knocked to the floor when Jake literally ran into them, but he caught them at the last second, Jake's hand gripping the back of Leypa's head. 

"Oh my sweet boy," Ilhia sobbed, hugging her son tightly, her face smushed against both Leypa's and Jake's chests as they held onto one another. 

"You alright, you hurt?" Jake demanded, releasing them ever so slightly so he could scan over his son's body. Leypa shrugged, lifting an arm slightly, and Jake turned it so he could see the wound.

"Neytiri patched me up," he mumbled, and Ilhia cried harder, her entire body shaking as she held onto her son. 

He was alive. She wasn't sure if she'd ever see his dumb face or hear his voice ever again. 

"Mama, Mama, shh, shh, I'm okay," he whispered, stroking her head. Jake hugged both of them again, one arm around his wife and the other around his son. 

"What about Spider?" Jake asked, his voice hopeful. Leypa froze under their touch, and when he spoke, his voice was thick with unshed tears. 

"They shot him." 

Three little words, but they ripped into her heart all the same. Trudy, and now her son. 

Jake said nothing, but she felt Leypa moving his head down to rest it on his father's shoulder. 

Ilhia sniffed as her tears ran dry. "I cannot believe he is dead," she said softly, so quiet that she wasn't sure either of her boys had heard her at all. But Leypa shifted backwards, as did Jake, the three still holding onto each other. 

"It was quick," Leypa said reassuringly. "He is with Eywa and Trudy now." 

She nodded, fiddling with the end of one of his braids. She held it up and attempted a weak joke. "You need to have your hair redone." 

"Sorry, Mama, I did not have time in prison," Leypa deadpanned, and Ilhia hit him in the stomach, a fresh wave of tears coming over her. She hugged him once more.

"Do not ever do that to me again!" she ordered. 

"I will not make it a habit," he promised, and Jake chuckled in spite of himself.