Metkayina

Ilhia hated water. 

She didn't mind bathing. Or being caught in the rain. But the ocean? 

Gah. 

The journey had been long and tiring, and the ocean had raged around them for the majority of it, a storm forcing the waves high in the air. She'd tried to protect Tuk as much as she could with the leather wrap she had around her own shoulders, but it had been useless. They were soaked through to the bone. 

They had stopped only once, because Jake needed a pee. Ilhia had laughed at him and the boys and Kiri had rolled their eyes. Tuk had folded her arms, huffy, and asked Ilhia if she would come with her, since it was a tiny little island, and they had only stopped on the sand. Ilhia had obliged the child. Ätopa had been in her own world, her hand on her belly, as she stood with her eyes closed, her ikran nestling its head against her side.

And now ... 

Now they flew over the barrier in the water, looking over the reef people below them, who called out to them. The six ikrans flew close to the handmade structure, and turned at the last second as one, flying to a sand bank in the water instead. People dove from the structures into the water, using sea creatures to follow them. A horn sounded loudly, alerting the reef people of their presence. They all landed, the ikrans cawing softly. Ilhia ignored the crowd that had quickly appeared and surrounded them, and instead helped Tuk down and grabbed her bow. 

"Leave it," Jake said gently, readjusting his waistband, and Ilhia rolled her eyes, putting the bow back into its holder. "On me."

She turned to face the reef people, Ätopä and Jake on either side of her, Tuk in front of her and Lo'ak, Neteyam and Kiri behind her. Walking forward as one, she said Tuk's name, and took hold of her daughter's hand. 

"Be nice," Jake said lowly, spreading his arms in a peaceful manner.

"Who are they?" Tuk asked in a small voice. 

"Be nice," Jake just repeated.

"We don't know why they are here," someone in the crowd muttered. Ilhia stood tall, looking people in the eyes. 

The crowd parted slightly, letting two boys around Neteyam and Lo'ak's ages into the circle the People had created. Her sons greeted them, their hands to their foreheads and down, their ears twitching with uncertainty.

"Easy. Just be cool," Jake muttered. 

"Look, what is that?" the smaller of the two snickered. "Is that supposed to be a tail?" 

Be cool, be cool, she repeated in her head. She wasn't going to fight a fifteen year old today.

She glanced at a pretty Na'vi girl walking out of the water, and then at her youngest son, who had lowered his head, his ears going up. She had to stop herself from grinning. 

"How are they supposed to swim?" the smaller one continued, and the girl slapped his arm. 

"Do not, Rotxo, Aonung!" she chided, turning to look back at the Sully's. 

"Hey," Lo'ak said. The girl just giggled to herself. 

There was shouting, finally, and Ilhia looked over to see Tonowari, the Olo'eyktan of the Metkayina, fly over them on a giant fish with wings, along with two other warriors. She didn't know the name of it, but its teeth looked razor sharp. He came out of the water, greeting Jake first, and they all exchanged formalities.

Jake had told her that he hadn't been concerned about Tonowari, and she could see why. He seemed genuinely happy to see them. 

The Tsahik, however, was a different story.