Chapter 15: To Persist, Not Perish

WARNING: Consensual but very angsty sexual content. Choking (and not in the fun way).

By the time she heard Kylo's front doors open—and those unmistakable heavy footsteps—Rey felt lightheaded with anticipation.

"Sir!" the Stormtrooper said, snapping to attention when the Supreme Leader made his way into the bedroom.

He kept his mask on her but barked a demand at Rey's babysitter. "Leave us."

"Yes, sir!"

Hoping it wasn't noticeable that she was trying very hard to be her usual, obnoxious self, she flung a sloppy wave at her departing friend. "Bye fucko! I'll miss you!"

The Stormtrooper didn't respond—something she found to be very rude—but she waited until he exited to look at her captor. She did her best to keep it casual. "Hello there, Supreme Leader. Whatcha been up to today? Torture any helpless animals? Kill a small child? Set a senior medbay on fire?"

Rey pivoted her body to the side and lowered her voice, pretending to answer for him. "Sure did, Kitten."

She gasped and moved back to her original position, throwing a hand to her chest. "Wow, say it ain't so. All three of those things in one day? Seven hells, Jabba, you're a busy man."

Silence. Then he took one step toward the bed. "I see your walls are up again."

She flashed him a smile. "Higher than the sky, baby."

"Ah," he mused, clasping his hands behind his back. "So the progress we made in your dreamscape is null and void now?"

She smacked her lips. "Mhm."

"Tell me why."

She gave him an odd look. "Umm...you feeling okay? Or did you forget last night when you flung me into a tree?"

He shifted with impatience. "You stumbled into a place you had no right entering."

"How am I supposed to know that?" she shot back. "I tried to wake up when you asked me to, but I couldn't. It's not that easy."

"You shouldn't have sought me out, you—" Kylo started but abruptly stopped, rolling his shoulders and cracking his neck with a clipped exhale. "You caught me at a bad time." There was a significant pause before he added, "I regret being volatile with you."

Rey jolted back. Never in a million eons did she expect this man to say that. She slowly nodded her head. "Okay, then." When the silence stretched uncomfortably long, she brought her feet up, crossing them beneath her. "So, why am I here?"

"You're a smart girl, Rey. You don't always act like it, but you are," he said, taking another step toward her. "Which means you know you aren't getting out of here."

As he approached, she tried to stay cocksure. She tried not to show him that what he had said impacted her. But as the harsh truth rang in her ears, she felt herself deflate at the reality of her situation. Her gaze and shoulders dropped, as did her voice. "Yes, I know."

He was quiet before getting even closer to her, speaking in a hushed, urgent voice. "Then let go. Of the past, of this act you have going on, of these walls you insist on keeping up. Let it all go."

"I...I can't," she whispered, eyes locked on the lower half of his body. "I don't know how."

"They have already moved on. It's time you do the same."

While what he had said cut deep, it also gave Rey a sliver of hope. "Does this mean they're still alive?" she asked, peeking up at him. "You didn't find and kill everybody the night I was taken?"

"It doesn't matter if they're dead or alive," came his quick, cold response. "The result is still the same. Nobody is coming for you."

She kept her gaze on his mask, taking in the brutal lifelessness of it as she swallowed the lump in her throat. She didn't know what to think. All she knew was that he was right. Nobody was coming for her. And as the heaviness in the air threatened to crush her, she wrapped her arms around herself and lowered her eyes to the floor.

"Look at me." When Rey didn't respond or move, he repeated himself, this time, a harsh demand. "Look at me."

She reluctantly looked at his mask again. After a moment of silence, he brought his hands to either side of it and pulled it off. She swallowed—she didn't imagine ever getting used to the intensity of the way he looked at her—and eyed him as he placed his helmet on the bed.

He kept his gaze lowered, sprawling his gloved hand over the top of the helmet. "Do you see this, Rey?"

She waited for him to look at her or to expand, but he didn't. "You mean, your helmet?"

Kylo nodded thoughtfully, and Rey tentatively did the same. "Yes, I see it."

"Do you know what it means?"

"Um...no?"

After he straightened his spine, he finally set his sights on her. "It's a sign of trust."

She considered the authenticity in his face, then dropped her eyes back to his helmet. "I...I don't get it."

"To feel free to take my mask off in front of you is an expression of trust," he explained patiently. "Something I hope can be reciprocated."

Her jaw dropped, not in a show of annoyance, but because she really couldn't believe what he was saying. "You...you want me to trust you."

"Yes."

She just stared at him. She didn't know what was worse. The fact he was being genuine, or that this conversation couldn't have come at a worse time, seeing as how he was talking about trusting her while she was waiting to stab him with a piece of his own mirror. She chose her next words very, very carefully. She couldn't lie; she was a horrible liar—plus he would probably be able to sense it—and she had to muster up enough respect to not laugh in his face.

"I don't know how, or why, you would expect that of me, Supreme Leader."

Anger flitted across his features. "You trusted me in your dreamscape. When you cried to me, when you kissed me. What changed?"

Her eyes drifted away from him for a second before giving him a blank stare. "Are you...are you being serious?"

"Yes."

"Right, okay. So um, first of all, I am your prisoner," Rey said, picking at her sack of a shirt for emphasis, "and those dreams we shared...we might have both been conscious, but they still didn't even feel real. And seeing as how you despise me and the Resistance—and I hate you and the First Order—I don't get what you want from me." She peered up at his face, truly confused. "We are enemies, Supreme Leader. Trust is not built in our design."

In a flare of agitation, he shifted his stance above her. "I have spared your life. That alone should have earned your trust."

"You spared my life from the danger you put me in. That doesn't mean shit."

Kylo's nostrils flared, his hands balled into fists by his sides. "I'm giving you an opportunity here. I advise you to take it."

"What opportunity? What are you even talking about?" she asked, leaning forward and making a what the fuck gesture with her hands. "It's been a week since I've seen you in person, then you have me shipped to your quarters to have a weird-ass conversation about trust? Of all things? What are you even getting at?"

"I am giving you an opportunity to make something of yourself. To stop running, to stop fighting," he said, tone severe. "To serve the First Order, to serve me."

This time, Rey couldn't hold back her laughter. "Serve you as in, to be your slave? To stay in your quarters all day as your little pet?"

Kylo had the audacity to look insulted. "No, not as my slave."

"Okay, then..." she started slowly, "if I agreed to serve the Order, does that mean I'd be free to leave?" He did not hesitate to shake his head no, and she threw up her hands in response. "Then I'd be held against my will, still. That's what a prisoner is—what a slave is, Jabba."

Rage flashed in his eyes. "Stop calling me that."

She didn't cower at his sudden intensity. "Stop acting surprised that I'm not jumping at the opportunity to be your slave."

He spoke through gritted teeth. "I told you, that's not what this is."