Chapter V: Defensive spells...Or Not

First day of Hogwarts, Mark never thought it would be possible. So far, Mark made some new friends, and possibly some enemies as well. But Snape is the one person he has to watch out for so far, but his words last night still troubled him, the boy who lived, something that Mark doesn't really know about, however, his secret still remains. None of it matters right now, for it was time for Defense Against the Dark Arts, a class that Mark, dawning his Slytherin Robes, has been looking forward to the most, considering his dueling lessons from his mother, and how eager he is to perfect his skills, and learn some new ones along the way, he wasn't sure about the new teacher though. Mark enters the room and sees a bunch of students sitting on desks, one for two students, so far Mark is not the center of attention, perfect. Mark sits on the second middle row on the right, he looks around the whole classroom, seeing some students whisper about him, he however just ignores them, the more tries not to notice, the better. Mark then sees Liam in his Hufflepuff robes, heading towards his desk, sitting right next to him.

"It's your first day here and you're already the talk of the school." Said Liam. "That's one way to start the year I suppose."

"I'm just here to learn more magic." Said Mark, He sees Hermione, the girl from the train, sitting at her desk as she talks to her desk mate, he smiles seeing her, but he then notices Draco glaring at him, he can't seem to handle rejection.

"Taking intrest in the new slytherin already, Malfoy?" Said a young student in round glasses. "He's avoiding you, seems to be taking the right step already."

"Shut up, Potter!" Said Draco. Mark and Liam turn their focus away from the drama.

"Looks like Harry Potter is already heard of you." Said Liam.

"...okay." Said Mark.

"Mark, Harry Potter knows about you." He said.

"Sorry, I don't really know who he is." Said Mark, Liam's eyes widen, and his jaw dropped.

"Are you serious?!" Liam quietly shouted. "You never heard of the Boy who lived?!" Marks eyes widen as he catches his sentence. "You really are a new student"

"What did you say?" Asked Mark.

"I said you really are a new student." Said Liam. "I hope I didn't offend you." He said concerned if he said the wrong thing.

"Liam...who is the boy who lived?!" He asked quietly, panicking and remembering what Snape said last night at the common room. "Who is Harry Potter?!" Before Liam could answer.

"Good morning children." Said Umbridge, looks like class has begun.

"I'll tell you later, I promise." Said Liam quietly, Mark, despite freaking out, decided to focus. Umbridge then uses her wand to levitate the chalk as it writes on the chalkboard.

"Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations!" She said softly. "O. W. L.'s! Or More commonly known as...Owls!" She said acting like everyone is in pre school. "Study hard, and you will be rewarded, fail to do so, and the consequences will be...severe..." she said with a gleeful smile on her face. Mark sees her at first glance and  he has already despised her. She then used her wand on a pile of books as they floated individually towards every student on their desk, only it wasn't for year 5 students, it was just basics for beginnners. "Form now on, you will all follow a carefully structured, ministry approved course of defensive magic." She announced. Mark's mind fumed at the words, "ministry approved". He turns the pages, no spells, only words, meaningless words, he didn't agree with the ministry's antics on Voldemorts return, but this was just unbearable. Hermione then raised her hand, which catches not only the professsor's, but also marks attention as well.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells." She said.

"Using spells? I can't imagine why you would need to use these spells in my classroom!" She said.