Cake disaster

Na-Rae turned to Taehyung, who was sitting on his phone, next to Jimin and Jungkook; who were deeply concentrated in their game on Jimin's phone. "Do we need anything else? I have eggs, sugar, butter, and flour," Na-Rae asked.

"No, I think that's all," Taehyung replied, scrolling through the recipe on his phone. "This seems easy. If it doesn't work, you'll be banned from the kitchen," he joked, making Na-Rae playfully huff.

"Why only me? You're not a much better cook than I am but with both of us, this will be a piece of cake," she joked, making Taehyung chuckles.

"Stop taking over Jin-hyung's bad jokes," Tae said, making Na-Rae laugh with her wordplay.

"But this one was funny, right?" she smiled, playfully bumping her shoulder into his, making Taehyung smile and shake his head. "Where do we start?" He said trying to change the topic.

"First, we need to preheat the oven. We have to set it to the right temperature; otherwise, the cake won't bake," Taehyung explained. Na-Rae nodded and adjusted the oven to the temperature Taehyung mentioned.

This birthday cake was meant to be a big surprise for Jin. It wasn't just for his birthday but also as a thank-you gift. The holiday break was approaching, and Na-Rae's sister was overseas due to a legal case. Her sister tried to book a flight to come back on time, but there were problems. The case was complicated, and the judges even changed some dates for the hearings. This meant that Na-Rae wouldn't see her sister for the next two months. Faced with the idea of being alone during her break, Jin didn't hesitate to invite the 18-year-old to his house. His parents already considered her as their daughter, and his older brother enjoyed her company. He could have suggested the boys all could stay at their dorm, but he knew they had limited time with their families, so this was a great idea.

"Now, mix the butter with eggs and flour," Taehyung instructed.

Na-Rae followed Taehyung's instructions and combined the flour, eggs, and butter. It didn't seem quite right, but she trusted Taehyung, who was the one reading the recipe.

"This is tough. I can't even mix it properly," she remarked, struggling to blend the butter with the flour and dealing with the eggs absorbing the flour.

"Oppa, I don't think this is working," she said, her hand already tired from the intense mixing.

"What? Giving up already? You've barely tried for five minutes. Okay, give me the whisk, and you can grease the baking tray," Taehyung responded. Na-Rae rolled her eyes and handed him the whisk.

"But I've been whisking for at least ten minutes, and there are still lumps," she grumbled buttering the baking tray. "Okay, it's ready. How's the batter now?" she asked, laughing when she saw Taehyung concentrating while sticking out his tongue as he continued to whisk the batter. "I told you it's not easy."

Hearing Na-Rae laugh, Taehyung paused and shrugged. "I think those lumps are butter. When we bake the cake, they'll probably disappear, right?" Na-Rae nodded, thinking he might be onto something.

"Alright, it's time to bake, isn't it?" she said, making Taehyung nod while placing the tray in the oven. "We're getting good at this!"

Suddenly, a voice interrupted their happy moment. Both of them turned to see Jimin and Jungkook, who held a bowl in his hand. "What's this?" Jimin asked, puzzled.

"That's the sugar," Taehyung replied, making no mention of the fact that they had forgotten to add it to the batter.

"Doesn't your cake need sugar?" Jimin told them, while Jungkook looked equally confused.

"I, uh, Taehyung didn't tell me to mix it into the batter," Na-Rae said, glancing at Taehyung, who simply shrugged and went back to re-reading the recipe.