Thrill of First Love

Approximately 2 years ago

It was summer. David had taken a break from the camp, and Max was staying with him to look after him. Gwen didn't allow him to be alone when he was deppressed.

David and Max were sitting in a cafe. Max wanted to buy an americano, but David told him that it would be too strong, so he bought him a latte instead. David bought himself a strawberry milkshake, but he had lost his appetite. He had his elbow on the table, propping up his chin while he stirred the drink with its straw.

"Are you gonna drink that?" Max asked.

"I lost my appetite..."

"David, we came here to cheer you up. Just stop thinking about her and focus on the fun." He huffed and crossed his arms.

"I can't!" He slammed his hands on the table and stood up, making people look at them. "I mean..." He sat back down, "I can't."

He looked around to see if anyone was still looking at them. After making sure everyone had went back to what they were doing earlier, he turned back to Max and continued, "I can't believe Bonquisha would leave me for that man! What does 'vanilla' even mean?!" He waved his hands as he spoke.

"Calm down, David."

David lowered his arms to his sides and looked into his drink with a frown. He felt the tears blurring his vision.

"David, no."

David looked at Max. His lips quivered. He had tears in his eyes, waiting to fall down in any second.

"David I swear to god if you ever start crying—"

David paid no heed to the curly-haired boy's warnings and started to sob loudly onto his palms with his elbows on the table.

Max groaned onto his palms, leaning back in his seat. "Not this again!"

"I'm sorry! I can't help it!" His voice was muffled by his palms.

Max lowered his palms from his face, stretching out his face downward in the action. "David, people are looking at us."

"I don't care!" He whined.

Max cringed and looked around. "You're embarrassing both of us."

David didn't answer. He just cried more.

Max liked annoying David, making him cry, and hurting him both physically and mentally. But deep down, even if it took a lot of force to see that much of the depths of his heart, he actually cared for the ginger.

Even if he disliked the happy-go-lucky David, he loathed depressed David.

He didn't have any clue on how to comfort David. It was getting uncomfortable watching David cry.

Max reached for his latte. He nervously drank his coffee, making a noise of disgust when he tasted the coldness of the coffee.

David lifted his head off of his palms. He gave Max a puzzled look, some of the tears still falling down from his face.

"Are you done?" Max put the coffee back onto the table.

"Y-yeah," David lowered his arms onto the table and fidgeted with his thumbs, "what's wrong?"

"The coffee. Your coldness made the air cold, making my coffee cold, too, so stop acting cold and order me another coffee," Max spat in a monotone voice.

David snorted at Max's bad joke and wiped his tears with the neck of his shirt. "Alright, Max."

He stood up and walked up to the counter to order another coffee.