11.1 | An Unexpected Goodbye

For the rest of the month, Ravenna and Felicia spent their time at the summer house. Spring had finally turned into summer and the temperature was rising. And then the rains started, pouring non-stop for days and nights. The forest came to life and blossomed like never before. Ravenna enjoyed sitting on the porch and watching the drops fall silently around her or on the stones. Sometimes the rain was so heavy that the whole forest would rustle.

Just outside the summer house, the girl saw the lake, which appeared black under the dark spruce trees, with only the water lilies shimmering white and the shores covered with green rushes. But she could walk there and climb the moss-covered rocks, spruce and pine trees that surrounded the lake only once the rain stopped. She enjoyed jumping over the slippery rocks by the water, though, the most.

And in the evening, Ravenna loved to stare up at the sky. The trees rustled above her, the stars reflected in the water, which appeared even blacker than it did during the day, but with a narrow line of moonlight running down the centre. Fog would occasionally rise from the ground at dusk and roll in among the trees, creeping through the forest. Then she would lose sight of the path and the stones, and the forest would seem oddly unsettling because everything that lived there appeared to be dead and silent. However, the forest would appear safe once more as dawn broke.

A week later, the rains finally stopped, the sun came out again and the summer heat permeated the entire area. As usual, Ravenna was jogging through the forest. With the early breeze slowly moving the tree tops, everything had become peaceful. But the carefree morning was one she cherished. Barefoot, she stepped through the damp and soft moss, breathing in the fresh summer air and passing through the glistening wet branches. She soon reached the path and turned around to face the small lake. The water glistened in the sun and looked like warm gold, but the girl knew that gold is deceptive and water is as cold as ice.

But no matter how beautiful everything around her seemed, Ravenna knew it was temporary. Despite her outward happiness, she was constantly distracted by the task of finding her mother. Taking a seat on the stone, she gave her assignment some serious thought, wondering how she would do it—finding the portal to the World of Absence alone wouldn’t be enough, would it?

As the girl considered this, her eyes missed Felicia coming towards her.

“I know how scared you are, but don’t forget I’m here. No matter what comes next, we will stay together.”

Ravenna sighed deeply. “Don’t talk like I’m a little child. I know that’s not the case.”

“But you are a child,” the girl smiled as she approached the lake shore and ran her hand over the water’s surface. It shimmered like mercury at her touch. “I’m just trying to cheer you up, are you angry?”

“No, just... We have to leave the summer house now that the rain has stopped, but where will we stay?”

“The same places you did when you were travelling alone.”

“But I only have one sleeping bag, and we can’t buy a second one because we’re saving money.”

“Why are you worried about such little things? I’m sure we’ll come up with something if we can find a second backpack or bag,” Felicia straightened up and walked towards the summer house.

Ravenna followed behind. “And when will we leave?”

“Most likely tomorrow. I still intend to get some food for us today. I don’t want you to starve, and it’s difficult to find shops here. Maybe next time, it won’t be as fortunate,” she sighed. “It would be best if Isdon and Andorra could help us somehow...”