✧ 6 ✧

Eventually, the party came to an end and you were about to leave, when Maria grabbed your wrist to make you turn to her.

"Do you live far from here?"

"Not really, a few minutes by foot," you shrugged.

"I'm walking you home then," she stated as she grabbed her coat.

It was about 4 in the morning and the streets were drowned in darkness. Even now, you could feel the tense atmosphere around Maria. She didn't feel safe in the silence of the city. You didn't either, but at least she knew how to fight.
You could hear footsteps behind you and Maria, so you instinctively grabbed her arm for added safety.

"What are two girls as beautiful as you doing this late in the night?" questioned the shady man.

"Ignore him and he'll leave," whispered Maria, leaning in toward your ear. You tightened your grip on her arm.

He aggressively grabbed your purse and you fell as you tried to fight him. Maria quickly jumped into action and twisted his arm, holding it into an almost broken position while she growled at him to warn him to never touch a girl again. He ran away almost whimpering like a hurt puppy.
If you hadn't collapsed on the ground, you would have certainly been dumbstruck by seeing Maria fighting.

You instinctively grabbed Maria's arm as you resumed your journey to your place, desperately trying to stop yourself from thinking about what just happened. It surprised you when you saw Maria's unfazed look, though you guessed that she deals with this kind of stuff daily and this guy is nothing compared to the battles that she has been a part of.
You took your key out and unlocked your apartment, your hand shaky from the adrenaline still coursing through your veins.

"How about a glass of wine?" you asked, hiding the tremor in your voice.

Maria nodded and sat on the couch as you poured some random wine you found into two glasses. You sat next to her and handed her one of them.

You soon started chit-chatting, and actually getting to know each other since you didn't get any one-on-one time before. You could feel yourself relax while she talked about some random subject. You loved hearing her voice, and you did notice that she didn't seem to double-check her words when she was with you. She spoke freely, and you really appreciated that.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅
420 words

A/n ~ Sorry it takes so long to update, I really need to put aside some time for writing. Hopefully, this chapter wasn't too dramatic nor too little... I do appreciate receiving constructive criticism so if you have any tips, they're welcome :)

Thank you for reading this chapter and I wish you a day full of flowers, smiles, and cats! 🌻