01. The Devil's Bargain

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐃𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐥'𝐬 𝐁𝐚𝐫𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐃𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐥'𝐬 𝐁𝐚𝐫𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

The salt water breeze clung to the butterscotch fabric of Aerilyn's dress. The gentle wind picking at the goosebumps on her arms. A wicken basket looped around her arm. A mix of fluorescent flower poking out the top. Aerilyn graced those who passed her with a warm smile and the gift of a sunflower. But what surprised her the most when she got home was her father being marched out the door by men dressed in navy, ''ah there she is my pride and joy, Aerilyn darling do me a favour I'm going to need some money to get out but you'll need the help of a man. Well boy, I don't know his actual name but he goes by 'dirtyhands'. Rumor has it he can do any job if it pays good, stop yanking!'' Roman Ember had claimed before being dragged out the door of his home.

Couped up in the corner, away from the drama sat Aerilyn's mother. Sobbing her eyes out that both her husband and son had been arrested in the span of two hours. Aerilyn had always been the soft and beloved child as she consoled her mother in tough situation, ''mama, don't worry I know a man that can help us get papa back but for now I will have to run the bakery by myself don't you worry about anything, okay?'' Aerilyn kissed her mother's head, as the sun soaked up her mother's tear stained cheeks. 

The Ember family bakery. A place that held a reputation for the best desserts and money fraud. It was a small shop with stained glass circles engraved into its walls. A wooden sign swinging from its side with the words 'come on in' etched into it. If she had to be honest Aerilyn felt weird opening the shop without her father and brother, ''Aerilyn, darling I am so sorry to hear about your father and brother. But hey the fraud was going to catch up with them some day. Why don't I  help you and mother, just say yes.'' Alastair Crimson. The person Aerilyn despised most in the world.

''I'll think about it Alastair. Goodbye for now.'' Aerilyn promised as she closed the bakery door behind her. Normally in the bakery the hours would tick by slowly but today it felt as if time was freezing. Twenty people had come in and out of the shop and it was only 11 o'clock in the morning, but out of the corner of her eyes Aerilyn spotted a trio. A group of three she hadn't seen around before, ''can I help you guys?'' Aerilyn smiled politely at them. The man with a cane eyed her before dismissing her, if Aerilyn had to guess she said he was the leader out of the three.

Aerilyn was intrigued by the group to say the least, as they kept bringing up someone in particular. A criminal who would be smuggled out of prison, ''so do you think the girl will come looking for us boss?'' a second man spoke, Aerylin had been drawn to him first due to his bold choice in clothing. The man with the cane quickly glanced at Aerilyn, his blue orbs catching her brown, ''she will, soon. I'll slip her a card.''he muttered standing up from the secluded booth. After closing the shop, Aerilyn found a card tucked into the doorframe. The card had the line 'crow club' written on it with the name of a tavern addressed.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

The sky faded charcoal as the sun gradually dropped. Aerilyn stood confused and anxious in the middle of a tavern searching for a man she later learned to be Kaz Brekker. Aka Dirtyhands. The man her father had wanted her to track down. A swirl of yellow skirts blurred as Aerilyn did a slow circle to see if see could spot the unique cane from earlier that day, ''hello gorgeous, I haven't seen you around here before.'' the mocha skinned man from earlier flirted. A flurry of hickory locks bounced as Aerilyn quickly spinned, ''hello, I'm actually looking for Kaz Brekker, I believe he knows my father.'' Aerilyn rubbed the back of her neck to soothe her pain, ''well I'll take you to him.'' the man took her hand.

''what is it Jesper?'' was called from inside a closed office, ''she's here boss. The girl from earlier.'' Jesper answered. Aerilyn softly bounced on her heels, ''send her in.'' Jesper opened the door, Aerilyn cautiously stepped inside observing Kaz who leaned over the single table in the room, ''Miss Ember its a pleasure to finally see you in person.'' He announced.

Aerilyn filled the seat offered to her, ''your father talks very highly of you Miss Ember. Now what can I do for you?'' Kaz questioned. The brown eyed girl anxiously crossed her legs, ''well he's got himself arrested and he told me you'd be able to help me get his out if I paid you.'' 

Later on Kaz would regret the words that came out his mouth, but he could already feel himself warming up to this girl he had never met, ''don't worry about paying me, I'll do it for free since your father is one of my highest paying clients.'' Aerilyn was just as shocked as he was. When her father discussed business with 'dirtyhands' he often described him as being greedy.

After Aerilyn had been escorted by Inej, Jesper couldn't help but mock his boss.

''But for you I'll do it for free.''

''Shut up Jesper.''

*ੈ✩‧₊˚*ੈ✩‧₊˚

A/n: Hello all I'm back again. Like I promised here's the first chapter and I'm sorry if its so poorly written and if some of the details are inaccurate, but I hope you enjoyed.