Chapter Sixteen

Soon enough, Cas was settled back into the school routine, as much as he could be, though he wore his headphones much more frequently. Rhonda had, unfortunately, turned her interests from Dean to Cas, and spent most mornings perched on his desk. Cas insisted he didn't mind, but the pained expression on his face whenever she touched his cheek or played with his hair told them otherwise.

She turned up to track practice most days, cheering Cas on and earning confused looks from the rest of the team.

Dean usually sat several rows below her, doing his best to concentrate on the homework he brought with him while he waited.

The weather cooled even further, leaving a layer of frost in the mornings. A couple weeks into November, Dean was once more sitting in the stands with his homework, wishing he'd brought gloves, when the team finished earlier than usual.

They all filed into the locker room and Dean shoved his things back into his bag. Rhonda, as usual, hurried past Dean without so much as a word, but before Dean could join the team in the locker room, the coach stopped him.

'Cas lives with you, right?'

'Yeah,' said Dean. 'What's up?'

'Listen, I know he hasn't been here all that long, but do you think he'd like a letterman jacket?'

Dean's eyebrows shot up. 'You think he'll make the cut? I didn't think he'd be here long enough.'

'That's not really his fault, I don't want to punish him for that. He works hard, so I don't see why we can't bend the rules for him a little,' the coach winked. 'At this point, it's just a matter of whether or not he'd like it?'

Dean grinned. 'Sure. I think he'd love one.'

The coach smiled and clapped Dean on the shoulder, before leaving for the day.

Dean leaned on the wall outside the locker room, hands deep in his pockets and watched the rest of the team filter out. Cas had taken to dawdling in the shower to avoid Rhonda, but after a while, Dean began to worry. He pushed open the door and looked around for Cas, and froze as he saw Rhonda pressed up against him, pushing him into a locker.

'Stop,' Cas was saying, trying to push her off without hurting her. 'I already told you, I'm not interested in you that way.'

'You say that with your mouth, but your eyes tell another story,' she giggled.

'Rhonda, please,' Cas said desperately. 'I don't like girls, it's not personal.'

'I don't believe you,' Rhonda laughed, then reached for his belt.

Cas gasped and tried to pull away, but couldn't.

'Hey!' Dean shouted, making them both jump. 'He said stop.'

Rhonda rolled her eyes, but stepped away. She left the room, but not before blowing Cas a kiss and winking at Dean.

'Are you okay?' Dean asked, appalled, stepping over to Cas as soon as she was gone.

He nodded, but seemed shaken.

'Do you want me to come in here with you from now on, so you don't have to deal with her?'

Cas hesitated, but nodded again.

'Let's go home, I'll get you some hot chocolate.'

Dean walked him out of the locker room and ordered a cab. As they made their way to the parking lot to wait for it, Cas nervously grabbed Dean's hand, squeezing his fingers. Dean started, but squeezed Cas's back.