Chapter 8

Seraphina said nothing when the maids appeared with a dress and several baskets full of things. They prepared her for something that she was yet to be informed about. She could ask the maids but knew that they wouldn't answer her even if they knew what was going on. It was not surprising that Hawthorn kept them in the dark.

When the crown was on her head, Seraphina stood. The maids fluffed out the creamy dress, ensuring it was sitting correctly. Moving to the door, Seraphina opened it and saw Orin waiting for her.

"Good evening, your highness."

"Back to that, are we? No longer the outcast?"

"I abide by the rules."

"Oh, is that right? When did you start doing that?"

Orin frowned at her.

"Because I seem to recall that you disobeyed quite a lot of rules a few years ago. Perhaps you like to pick and choose the rules you want to obey."

"I am not entertaining your need to goad me into a fight about the past. I have moved on,"

"That's because your life wasn't destroyed by the actions of others. It was easy for you to move on because nothing happened to you. As for my needs and goading you into something, well, you'd better get used to it because I don't recall ever hearing an apology from you."

"I saved you, Seraphina. Ruslen wanted you dead, and I was the one that convinced him to let you live and marry Hawthorn."

Seraphina couldn't handle the anger that had grown. With a hard swing, her fist connected to Orin's nose, sending him backwards. The guards that were assigned to stand at the door winced.

Orin staggered back. His hand wiped the blood that had slipped onto his upper lip.

"If you're expecting gratitude from me for what you did, you'll be waiting for a long time."

Seraphina began walking down the corridor. Orin scowled at the guards who were smiling at him and chased after the queen.

He hadn't told her where to go, but Seraphina figured it was time to talk to Hawthorn. As much as she didn't want to, she knew it had to happen sometime.

Hawthorn's eyes lifted as the doors to his office opened. Amusement filled his face as he stood and watched Seraphina enter the room.

"My darling wife, how lovely to see you on this wondrous night."

He moved around his desk to Seraphina, lifting her hand. Devious delight shone brightly as he kissed the knuckles. It stilled when he saw her face flinch slightly. The reaction was not what he expected.

Glancing at Orin, who was holding a handkerchief to his nose, Hawthorn smiled.

"You naughty thing," he whispered. "What did he do to you now?"

Seraphina frowned and pulled her hand free. She moved away from Hawthorn to greet the guest seated in front of Hawthorn's desk. Seraphina stopped and stared at the man. He was equally surprised and frowned at Hawthorn when he sat at his desk again.

"What is this? Was she your spy?"

"No. Seraphina has been away for a few years, but your recent effort to take me down has brought her back to the sanctum. I am disappointed, Jack. I thought we had an understanding, and yet you still lied. You said that you didn't attend the meeting, yet you recognised Seraphina. Because you have offended the House of Lukariah, I believe compensation is required here. For not stopping the General from spying on us and planning to kill me, for your failure to notify me that the meeting was taking place, for actually attending the meeting and I can only assume that you voted for the plan,"