Chapter 11

"You know that they won't stop."

Hawthorn lifted his head from the downward gaze. Seraphina watched him cautiously as they walked through the grove.

"I am aware that there are some who are delusional enough to think that they will win."

"Your hold over the Prime Minister might not be enough. He walked into that meeting knowing what it was about."

"Perhaps he thought I would not find out."

"But you didn't, did you? If they'd hired someone else, you wouldn't have known."

"We know a lot of things. Like the arrows that you were carrying. What monster made them for you?"

"The government."

Hawthorn hummed softly. He'd thought that would be her answer. Seraphina's goal was to take him down, not a room full of vampires.

"There was a long vial behind the arrowhead and spikes. One would assume that anyone trying to save me would realise that the arrow had to be pushed forward to stop the spikes from causing further damage. Once the spikes were pushed through, most would snap the shaft so that the remainder of the arrow could be pulled backwards. Breaking the shaft would open the vial and release the contents. It was designed for wide dispersal and would have killed every vampire in the room."

Seraphina paused, looking at Hawthorn with horror.

"You lie."

"I wish that were true. One of the arrows was x-rayed, and they discovered the vial. Rather than risking anything dangerous, it was opened in a sealed case. They needed to know what was in the vial in case it was ever used again or if we needed an antidote. When they opened it, the vial exploded with a puff of air that consumed the entire chamber. The study is ongoing, but I have been told that it is easily produced but incredibly expensive. They've already identified that it contains hemlock."

Hawthorn reached out, taking Seraphina's hand.

"It's okay. They didn't tell you."

"I should have questioned everything. An arrow wouldn't have done a sufficient job if I'd landed it in the wrong place. Not that I would have."

"Ouch," Hawthorn offered with a grin. "Aiming for my cold heart?"

Pulling her closer, Hawthorn lifted her hand and rested it against his chest. He noticed her eyes briefly turn to the bird that was on the track ahead of them. Hawthorn said nothing. He continued to bring her to his body.

"Indulge me," he whispered. "Stay with me tonight."

Hawthorn's hand smoothed over Seraphina's waist, sliding to her lower back. The material of her dress was soft and delicate under his palm.

"You're getting ahead of yourself."

"I have done as you requested. I have requests too, Seph. An heir is what our world demands of us, but I'd prefer a lot of wonderful little rascals running around the place. A wife that sleeps next to me, resting peacefully in my arms. Memories and love created over days, weeks, years."

"The humans are plotting against us," Seraphina whispered sadly. "Bringing children into this mess should be the last thing on our minds."

Pulling free of his embrace, Seraphina quickly moved further down the path. Bram hopped over the leafy ground, stopping to pick at things when they caught his attention.

Hawthorn watched until his phone buzzed. Removing it from his pocket, he saw a message from Kohen. The camera had been placed, and he'd checked to ensure it was functioning correctly. Now all Hawthorn had to do was convince Seraphina to join him in his room. It wasn't necessary, though. If she held out for a few more days, then that was fine by him.

As Hawthorn watched Seraphina walking next to the bird, he wondered if the alter ego was the problem. Maybe something was going on between them. If that were the case, then Seraphina refusing him might give Hawthorn a little visual insight into what they were hiding.

Following behind, Hawthorn kept his distance and silently observed. Nothing seemed unusual, but Hawthorn would not ignore the situation. He wanted to know if the bird was Bram and what it meant for his future with Seraphina. Hawthorn would not accept a third party in their relationship. Especially when Seraphina made it clear that she didn't share.

"You never told me the bird's name."

Seraphina turned to Hawthorn. She shrugged.

"It's not a pet."

"Of course," he hummed with amusement.

Not a lie, but nothing was offered either.

"What happened to his wing?"

"Probably a car. I don't know. Why all the questions?"

"Curiosity. You care for the bird, so I thought that showing an interest in it would help improve things between us. Are you satisfied with the food the staff have found for the bird?"

"It's okay, I guess."

"They provided bird seed, didn't they?"

Hawthorn's attention had turned to his phone. He was searching for information.

"Yeah. One of the maids brought in a container full of a mixed seed of some sort."

"Well, that's not nearly good enough. This website says that they eat small mammals, birds, and eggs. This one mentions landfills. That might be a tad too much, though. Don't you agree?"

Seraphina nodded quietly.

"Mice, crickets, worms. I'll notify the staff to alter the bird's diet immediately."

Hawthorn smiled, waiting for Seraphina to bite. She said nothing and continued to walk.

"You know, this site mentions mating. Have you considered taking him to a vet to have the gender discovered? You could find a friend for the bird."

"I think you're getting ahead of yourself again. The bird will leave when the wing is better."

"Of course," Hawthorn said with mild amusement.

Sending a message to Kohen, Hawthorn remained a few steps behind as Seraphina and the bird continued their walk through the grove. It was supposed to be a walk where they got to know each other and interact more physically, but it was not what Hawthorn thought it would be. He wasn't surprised by that. Seraphina struggled, just like he did. Neither wanted to be forced into this marriage, but Hawthorn had to keep it going. Otherwise, his reign as the king could collapse.

He wondered if Seraphina had thought about it. Perhaps it was the reason she wanted him dead. Once he was no longer the leader, she could easily stroll back into the sanctum and return her family to the rule.

His observations of Seraphina in the past were limited. There was enough to show that she didn't have grandiose plans for her life. Seraphina was the youngest of the Theoden line, with several brothers older than her. She would not have considered herself a contender for the top job.

Hawthorn's phone beeped. He looked at the message and smiled. If Seraphina chose not to join him tonight, then that was just fine. He would happily occupy himself with observing the bird in real time. Hawthorn vowed to figure out the truth.