Chapter 18

Orin looked at Hawthorn on the bed. Maids fussed around him. Even though they should be in the panic room, they were here. The plans for a siege were clearly ignored though he couldn't fault them for wanting to care for their leader.

Turning, Orin faced Seraphina.

"You enjoyed that more than you should have," Orin grumbled.

"Be glad it wasn't you."

Seraphina ran the bloody blade over her tongue, tasting the remnants of her efforts to save Hawthorn. Orin didn't know what to think or do. The view was more than just erotic. It was incredible. It also made him hungry.

His two-way squawked and hissed as one of the guards tried to contact him.

"Go for Orin."

"Sir, the intruder has been caught. What are your orders?"

Orin looked at Seraphina, who raised an eyebrow at him. With Hawthorn incapacitated, she was their leader.

"Well, my lady?"

"Perhaps we should be wise with our movements."

Which translated to there being no immediate answer.

"Restrain him in one of the cells until I have checked with the queen."

As the acknowledgement crackled through the two-way, Orin waited. The queen moved closer to the bed where Hawthorn was asleep.

His body had been opened enough to safely remove the blade without causing further damage. They'd wrapped his torso tightly to help fuse the sides together. Now it was just a matter of waiting for the body to heal itself.

She pulled the sheet back and checked that no blood was leaking through the bandages. If there were, it was a sign that the body wasn't healing fast enough. So far, things appeared to be alright.

After returning the sheet to maintain the warmth around Hawthorn's body, Seraphina moved to the lounge. Orin sat opposite her, waiting for her answer while deciding what he wanted to do to the prisoner.

"If you kill the intruder, it will start a war. It is that simple. Jack Wesley is angry, and he is not prepared to submit to Hawthorn's demands. What you need here is a show of power. We need to make sure that Wesley sees us. We're still here. We're doing fine. He can try, but he won't win. With any luck, it will make him realise that attacking is a foolish move and perhaps he might just agree to Hawthorn's demands."

"So, what exactly do you propose?"

Seraphina picked up a notebook and pen, forming a list for Orin to collect. She offered it, and when he read it, Orin frowned.

"This does not make any sense, and to be honest, it seems rather lurid."

"Have a little faith in me."

Accepting that she had a plan, Orin stood and took the list. He would collect the peculiar items while hoping that it was not a waste of time.

Seraphina returned to the bed when Orin left the room. As she moved onto the mattress, Hawthorn opened his eyes.

"What dastardly scheme are you planning?"

She smiled, softly kissing Hawthorn.

"A gift for our friend."

"Will this result in a war anyway?"

"Perhaps."

Seraphina knew that Jack Wesley wouldn't get to see everything first hand. He might be shown images if they were taken, and if everything was deemed safe, then maybe he might see it.

As Seraphina moved from the bed, Hawthorn reached out and took her hand. She could see the uneasiness on Hawthorn's face.

"I am grateful that you saved me, Seph. Our past is not the best, and I understand that you have a lot of issues. Going against everything that you wanted couldn't have been easy."

Kneeling on the bed, she lowered and kissed him softly again.

"You know that I couldn't let Bram be the one that killed you, right?"

Hawthorn grinned, trying not to laugh.

"You're such a meanie, Seph."

"I am. Now go back to sleep."

"Stay," he murmured, dragging Seraphina to the bed.

Reluctantly, Seraphina settled next to Hawthorn. She wanted to leave him to sleep alone and let his body repair the wound, but Hawthorn had other ideas.

Several hours had passed when Seraphina woke to Kohen clearing his throat.

"Good morning, your highness. Orin has asked me to advise you that he has collected most of the items on your list. He is currently making copies of one of the items as they were unable to find enough to meet your suggested number. Everything is prepared and ready to be dealt with. Would you like to inspect the items?"

"Translation, please help us understand your mad mind," Hawthorn said.

"Of course."

Maids appeared with a walking stick, helping Hawthorn out of bed. He was uneasy on his feet at first, but after a few seconds, he was ready to go. Rather than venturing out in their bed clothes, the pair changed. It wasn't easy for Hawthorn, and his attire consisted of pants and a long bed jacket.

Kohen led them to a work room on the ground level. Maids were piling the stacks of copied papers onto a table while the gardeners finished the construction of the box.

"I am still at a loss," Orin grumbled as he put the last stack of papers down.

Hawthorn pulled back the box flap, looking at the peculiar contents.

"As am I," he muttered. "I am concerned about your answer, Seraphina, but is there a reason for all this?"

She smiled sweetly and nodded.

"Everything that I do has a reason."

"You're fighting back with all this?"

"I am."

"Not guns or soldiers but flyers and the strangest box I've ever seen."

"It will make sense soon enough. Have a little patience."

Hawthorn struggled as he walked out of the room. The maids that lingered to assist were sent away with a frown and a flick of Hawthorn's hand. Seraphina followed, and he could feel things changing. It wasn't perfect, but their lives were slowly moving in the right direction.

"No longer trying to kill me?" Hawthorn asked as he leaned on the wall.

Seraphina smiled, moving closer.

"Our days would be boring if I didn't wait in the darkness to jump out at you with a carving knife."

Smoothing her hand over the lapel of the bed jacket, Seraphina's smile grew darker.

"Or perhaps poison your blood."

"I'm sure there are other things that would be far more entertaining."

"Maybe," Seraphina whispered.

Her lips hovered over Hawthorn's for a moment, savouring the intense feelings that were growing. Hawthorn wrapped his free hand around Seraphina's waist as the consuming kiss began.

It had taken a long time to reach this point in their relationship, and both knew that the path to happiness was still being created, but with each step, they would get closer to where they needed to be.