Chapter 15

Opening the door, Seraphina found that there were no guards. She thought it was odd but shrugged it off. With Bram no longer here, she thought that Hawthorn might have decided to relax the internal security. If it were true, then it was rather dramatic of him, but Seraphina knew that was Hawthorn. Bram had kept her from him, and telling him differently would not make Hawthorn see reason. She didn't want to be here. She hated that her family was killed and her life was destroyed. They expected her to accept it and continue as if it were an ordinary day. It was never going to happen.

Now though, Seraphina thought that she'd healed. It wasn't much, and there were times when she still wanted to kill Hawthorn, but she could see the truth now. He was scared of his father, just like Nesrin was. They both suffered by his hand, and Seraphina was not surprised that Hawthorn had killed his father.

She wandered through the corridors and stopped when she reached Hawthorn's office. Light shone over the floorboards from underneath the door.

Seraphina was hesitant. She knew that progress had to happen at some point, but the mood was strained at the moment. Was it the time to ignore the arguments and take a step forward, or was it better to let another day go by? Several had already passed them. Things were better, though Seraphina wasn't sure if it was enough.

In her mind, she argued with herself about the subject. The fact that no guards were at her door indicated that Hawthorn had relaxed enough to grant her a little more freedom. Was it time to accept the thoughts in her mind and stop denying what she really wanted?

Taking a deep breath, Seraphina stepped forward and opened the door. Hawthorn's head lifted, breaking his concentration. The notes he had been focusing on for the past ten minutes were set aside for the woman that walked into his office. With the door closed, she turned and crossed the room.

"Something bothering you?"

Hawthorn watched as her fingers slid over the letter opener. He should not have left a sharp implement lying around. She couldn't do much damage with it, but the wound would take time to heal. Now was not the time for dealing with stabby wives and their dark intentions.

"Not really."

When she turned, he quickly slid it into the top drawer and locked it. He thought that Seraphina either didn't notice or didn't care because she continued to the other side of his desk without a thing said about the blade.

"What are you reading?"

It surprised Hawthorn when Seraphina slid onto his desk. The soft dress was new and a little revealing. With thin straps over her shoulders and a wide v-neckline, it gave a view that was difficult for Hawthorn to handle. It didn't help that the floaty hemline sat mid-thigh.

A subtle floral scent surrounded him as Seraphina leaned forward to look at the document. When he didn't answer her straight away, Seraphina looked at Hawthorn. She smiled, and Hawthorn knew the game was being played.

"Just a few notes from our other spies."

"Worried?"

"Always."

Hawthorn stood from his chair, shifting Seraphina to the middle of his desk. He pulled her forward, raising the skirt of her dress to the top of her thighs. Smoothing his hands over her thighs, he continued under the material. Finding nothing to remove, Hawthorn raised an eyebrow with a mighty smirk.

"Something on your mind, Seph?"

Gripping his shirt, Seraphina dragged Hawthorn forward.

"Always," she whispered.

The intense kiss began. Her hand slid to the back of his neck, urging him with growing desperation. Hawthorn's hands moved over her back, eager to remove the dress. Seraphina had come here with clear intentions, and he wasn't about to refuse her. Not when he'd waited years for this moment.

Before he could move the zipper, the door opened. Kohen stopped and stared as Hawthorn pulled away from Seraphina. His eyes lowered to the floor, silently praying that Hawthorn wouldn't get angry.

"Uh, sorry."

"Should I get a sock for the door?"

Kohen wanted to say yes but refrained from entering into that conversation.

"It's alright, Kohen. What brings you here at such a late hour?"

"Orin wanted me to advise you that Bram had checked in at the final point before he entered Downing Street. He is expected to contact us again in the afternoon unless there is something urgent."

"Of course."

Pressing his lips tight, Kohen forced a smile and backed out of the room. When the door was closed, Hawthorn dipped his finger at the bottom of the v-neckline and dragged Seraphina forward.

"Do I get more, or are you taunting me with your devious kisses and lack of underwear?"

"You can have more but understand that I still hate you."

Hawthorn scoffed, rolling his eyes.

"You do not."

Seraphina slid off the desk, smirking as she began to walk to the door.

"What makes you think that?"

"The way that you kiss me."

Turning off the desk lamp, Hawthorn followed Seraphina out of his office. They were alone in the corridor. Hawthorn pressed Seraphina to the wall and slid his hand between her legs. She groaned softly as her body rolled with the movement of his hand.

"The way that you react to me."

Leaning in, Hawthorn kissed over her neck, moving up to Seraphina's jaw.

"You fight so hard but fail to see that your body gives you away. I know that you want me."

Stepping back, Hawthorn left Seraphina hanging. The sensations had started to build, and now those taunting fingers were leaving.

Hawthorn looked over his shoulder with a smug smile.

"If I'm wrong, then return to your room, but if I'm right, you'd better hurry up."

Seraphina huffed and followed Hawthorn. Walking through the corridors of her childhood home while the memories reminded her of the past and the dark deeds that happened here was not easy. Accepting this was her future caused an upheaval in Seraphina's mind. She felt like a monster for willingly walking into Hawthorn's chambers.

There was never a choice. She was forced to marry him, and she was expected to give him children to ensure that the Lukariah line continued. Leaving gave Seraphina a choice that she thought did not exist. She chose to stay this time because escape was still as easy as it was all those years ago. The choice was here, ready to be made. Standing at the doors of his private quarters, Seraphina was just a step away from accepting a future that she'd avoided for far too long.