Chapter 14

Seraphina watched as Bram ate the soup. She noted that he was given a spoon for the soup and a fork for the steak. The knife had been left out, but sensibly, the steak and vegetables had been cut for him. She was surprised that they gave him a fork. Given a chance, she could inflict a lot of damage with one.

"This is a mistake," she whispered. "They'll kill you once it's over."

"I can be useful beyond this mission, and if they think that it is possible, they will quickly learn how wrong they are."

Seraphina had her back to the mirror but knew that they were being watched. She'd seen Hawthorn and Kohen standing at the window when Orin brought her into the dungeon.

Feeling full, Bram pushed the bowl aside.

"Something was pointed out to me, and it makes a lot of sense. That aside, I like vampires. I don't have to hide who I am. I entered the royal army to be a part of your world. I can give something where others cannot."

"Alright, but be safe. If you think that they're onto you, then get out."

Kohen warily watched Hawthorn. He wasn't angry, but he could tell that the king was not impressed. Nothing was going on between Bram and Seraphina, but that didn't mean much. There was a wedge, and the only way that Hawthorn would dislodge it was to make Bram leave the manor house. He had to keep Bram alive, but at least he would be away from Seraphina. It was the best that Hawthorn could do.

"Orin, you are to ensure that Bram has whatever he needs to complete the mission successfully. I want him to get into Jack's world and learn everything we need to know. The more he brings me, the less likely I am to harm him when this is over."

With a nod, Orin left the pair to continue watching Bram and Seraphina.

"I want a future planned for him, one that is nowhere near this place. He will remain alive as Seraphina has demanded, but that is my limit. The man that kept my wife away from me for all these years will not be allowed near her ever again."

"We can continue the role of spy, and the information handover can occur at the gatehouse."

"Acceptable. See to it at once."

Hawthorn watched as the anger simmered. He could accept that Bram had done as asked. He'd kept Seraphina safe, but it was common knowledge that there was a new king. They could have returned, and if they thought it wasn't safe to do so, then they could have checked. Hawthorn wasn't happy about Seraphina disappearing but accepted that while his father was alive, she was safer out of this house than in it.

Gesturing for guards to approach, Hawthorn gestured to the view.

"Our guest has finished his meal. He can be housed in one of the cells until Orin has prepared the mission. So that our guest feels comfortable, the cell door can remain open, and you can find additional bedding for him. No manhandling him, he is not a prisoner, but he is not welcomed here either."

The guards nodded and opened the door. Hawthorn watched as Seraphina scowled at the guards.

"Where are they taking him?"

"To his temporary lodgings while he's here. Orin is preparing for the mission, and I'm sure Bram is tired. He will be in one of the cells, but the door will be open. The guards will provide extra comfort for his stay and treat him better than a prisoner. Do not expect more of me, Seraphina. He does not deserve what I give."

"I chose to stay away. You are punishing him for no valid reason."

"His duty has always been to the leader of the vampires. He might not be a vampire, but he posed as one. Therefore, I considered him one when he gave his oath of allegiance. He failed me. His loyalty to the crown faltered when he didn't make your location known to us. You can argue with me until the end of time. My thoughts will not change."

Hawthorn walked away, leaving Seraphina standing in the room with guards watching. With a frustrated huff, she followed Hawthorn out of the room.

When she reached the long corridor, Seraphina reached out. Hawthorn felt his jacket pull his arm back and turned.

"He protected me. Don't hate him for doing what you asked of him."

Hawthorn stalked towards Seraphina as she hit the wall behind her.

"I asked him to protect you, not to keep you hidden for years. He will live because he obeyed my request, but he will not serve as a guard because of the subsequent actions. I have done as you asked, Seph. He is alive and unharmed. I do not want to discuss Bram any further."

Seraphina knew that this was the end of the subject. If she kept talking about it, Hawthorn wouldn't believe her when she said that nothing was going on.

She watched as he walked away with anger in every step. Seraphina knew to leave Hawthorn alone for a couple of hours. Beyond that, she wasn't sure what to do. It would take some thought.

For now, she had a room to finish cleaning. Orin had interrupted her earlier, and there were still pieces of the vase as well as the other things she'd thrown all over the floor.

Entering the room, Seraphina opened the door to the side and removed the cleaning equipment. Sweeping the floor took quite a few minutes, and the remnants of the objects were placed in the trash can under the desk. By the time she'd wiped up the mess from where the meal hit the floor, half an hour had passed.

As she put the tools away, Seraphina heard a tapping on the glass. She looked out the window and saw a raven. Assuming it was Bram, she locked the door and rushed to the window.

"What are you doing here?"

She picked up a pillow and turned. When the feathers floated past her, Seraphina rolled her eyes.

"Maybe you could pick something better now that they know it's you."

"I won't be coming back here."

Seraphina turned. Bram was naked, and only the pillow gave him some modesty.

"I was assured of your safety."

"I don't mean that, Seph. I mean that Hawthorn wants to ensure I don't come between you and him ever again. I have to hand the information over at the gatehouse. I was going to tell you that, but they were listening."

"Bram, they have a camera in this room," she whispered.

"Great," he muttered, rolling his eyes. "Naked in front of the queen after being told not to go near her."

"You have the right to say goodbye to me. We've shared years of friendship. He can grant us that much."

"Yeah, you say that, but I know how angry he is that you didn't return after Ruslen died. He blames me."

"I know. I tried to tell him differently, but he's stubborn."

Bram and Seraphina looked at each other. Giving him a pained smile, Seraphina turned.

"Stay safe,"

She felt the pillow pressed against her hand. Taking hold, she felt the pain grow. Saying goodbye was not easy.

"You too," Bram whispered.

Hearing the flap of his wings, Seraphina turned to see the raven flying away. Tossing the pillow onto the bed, Seraphina returned to the window. As she lowered the sash, she watched until she couldn't see Bram any longer.