Chapter 16

From his position, Hawthorn had an incredible view. Gloriously naked, Seraphina's body writhed with ecstasy. Her body arched off the mattress as the desperate moan escaped. Her hands gripped the linen, tight in her balled fists. Hawthorn had never seen someone enjoy pleasure like this. It was good for Seraphina, his ego and, of course, the ever-changing dynamics between them.

Moonlight cascaded through the window, highlighting the pale skin. Her body shivered as his hands moved over her torso, sliding higher to the plump curves. As his tongue teased over the skin one last time, Hawthorn watched the smile grow on Seraphina's face. She hummed as he kissed a path over her torso. As his tongue dragged over the hardened peak, Seraphina looked at Hawthorne. The fangs were always present, but the way that he smiled and shaped his mouth to lick her made them seem larger.

Leaning on his forearms near her head, Hawthorn gazed down. All the while, he teased her with subtle strokes of his body against hers.

"You're making me suffer?" she whispered.

He nodded, lowering to kiss Seraphina again. Hawthorn would not admit that he craved her and always had.

Long before his father started his plans for the deadly coup, he watched the princess in silence. He was forced to listen to his father's plans knowing that Seraphina would not survive. Orin was their saving grace that day, which was why Hawthorn kept him in such a prestigious posting.

When she disappeared, Hawthorn pretended to be angry. A part of him was. The dream that he'd had for years had been given to him and then ripped away. Hawthorn knew it was for the best. He didn't want her to suffer at the hands of his father. Seraphina was safer away from this house.

Hawthorn hoped that she would return when his father died. He ensured everyone knew that if they saw Seraphina, they had to tell her. Years passed, and he started to lose hope that she would return. Soon he began to think that she was dead. Learning the truth was not easy. He expected that she would hate him, but Bram's betrayal stung harshly. Hawthorn firmly believed he wanted more but wasn't brave enough to attempt anything.

The kiss ended, and Seraphina slid her finger along his hairline, tucking it behind his ear. His thoughts were all over the place, and he'd missed an incredible kiss. Hawthorn sent the wayward thoughts away.

The smile lessened slightly as a soft frown pressed into her brows.

"I haven't ever," she whispered.

"Really?" Hawthorn said, lifting back a fraction.

"Why is it so hard to believe?"

"Because you are rather good at giving pleasure. I was thoroughly enjoying myself. It felt like you were skilled thanks to decades spent on your knees."

Her lips tightened as Seraphina tried not to smile. She dug her fingers between his ribs, and Hawthorn tried not to laugh as he mocked a howl of pain.

"I was serious," he pleaded, still laughing.

Hawthorn lifted from Seraphina's body, now understanding her anger at his questions about her and Bram being lovers. She could have told him earlier, but during an argument was probably not the best of times to have that discussion.

"So, I guess you're telling me that I'm not allowed to be a brute."

"Absolutely."

"And that you might like a little care on my part."

"It would be ideal if you want to stay in my good books."

"Alright, but so long as you don't ask any questions."

"That sounds rather dubious."

Hawthorn opened the drawer of his nightstand and removed a tube of lubricant. Seraphina said nothing. She was not an idiot and didn't expect him to remain faithful to a wife that took off after they married.

"You're rather quiet."

Seraphina lifted herself, leaning back on her arms.

"Well, it is an interesting sight."

The view was more than interesting. Hawthorn had an incredible body. The waves of sandy blond hair fell over his shoulders, giving a tempting start to the view. He wasn't overly thin, but the curves of the muscles made him seem narrower. The clothes hid a lot, in Seraphina's opinion.

As for the interesting view, it was almost too much for Seraphina to handle. He was applying the gel to himself, moving the hand over the shaft, taunting her with the hedonistic sight.

Tossing the tube aside, Hawthorn reached between Seraphina's legs and applied the remaining gel. She gasped, not expecting it to be cold.

"Ready to finally consummate our marriage?"

"I suppose so."

Hawthorn hummed with amusement as he moved into place.

"You're so mean, Seph."

"You love it."

Seraphina gasped as Hawthorn pushed against her. Slowly he continued, delving deeper until their bodies met.

"Breathe," he whispered. "The pain will pass soon enough."

Hawthorn waited as Seraphina inhaled and exhaled. Her hands smoothed over his chest.

"Okay."

"You can tell me to stop."

"I'd rather you kept going."

Lifting to his hands, Hawthorn began to move. He didn't think that this day would ever happen. As the years clocked over, he spent his days and nights between the legs of anyone that crossed his path. It was an attempt to forget the woman that didn't want him. It was never going to work, not when he could not be satisfied with the meaningless entanglements.

Lowering back to her body, Hawthorn kissed Seraphina. Her hands moved to his back, and the delicate fingers danced over the sensitive skin.

As much as he craved hours with her, Hawthorn knew it wasn't a good idea for her first time. He'd bring her to the peak of ecstasy, and then he'd relent on her. There was always another day to have hours of fun.

Because that day would happen soon. He wasn't going to accept the humans trying to destroy his world. Not when he'd only just gotten Seraphina back into his life.