(4) Escape

Lockwood was sitting at the kitchen table staring at the clock

Lockwood was sitting at the kitchen table staring at the clock. He had tried to distract himself by sketching in the library, but that didn't last him long. He grabbed his cup. The tea was cold by now. He had wanted to wait for them since it shouldn't take them that long. But the more time passed, the more worry ate away at him.

He heard a car door outside and stood up. His arm was still in the sling since it was his last few days with it.  The door opened and George and Lucy came in. Lucy tossed the bags on the ground and quickly removed her belt. Lockwood paused waiting for Grace to walk through the door, but she never did.

"Where's Grace?" He asked. His voice was quiet. He walked toward the door yanking it open but she wasn't there. The taxi pulled away dissapearing down the street.

"She's at DEPRAC," George heaved as he adjusted his glasses.

"She's at DEPRAC?" Lockwood repeated. "Barnes came here earlier, but he didn't say anything about her being taken to DEPRAC."

"We have to go," Lucy added. "Getting back here took too much time." Lockwood nodded and grabbed his rapier.

"You really think you're going to use that?" George hesitated to grab his.

"Leave yours, if it comes down to it, I'll be the one to fight them. You both just get Grace out." Geroge helped him adjust the strap as the three ran from the building. They hailed a cab and tried their best to make it to her on time

***

Grace woke up in the same room. She was changed into a hospital gown. Her hand went to her shoulder feeling the tender skin, but she was still alive.

One day, this won't work.

"Good, good, you're awake." Mary's irritating voice sounded through the room.

"Can I go now?" Grace tried to move the gown to see the wound on her shoulder. The skin was discoloured and raised.

"Not yet, we've got a few more rounds and then you will be permitted to eat and rest for the night." Sara looked around the room as she backed herself into a corner. There were no objects she could throw at the glass. It was most likely indestructible for their protection. She didn't understand how they could make it so that the Visitors couldn't phase through the walls and go after them. She started feeling around the room for any kind of panels. "Three. Two. One." A loud beep went off. A mist came up from the floor.

Oh, come on.

She stepped around it moving closer to the door as she felt for a handle, but it was flat on this side. She could see people walking behind the door with clipboards. Grace threw her fist into the glass several times.

"Help me! Get me out!"

"They can't hear you, Gracie. I'm afraid if you want out you just have to get through these last two tests." Grace faced the type two as it appeared. It was a little girl. The one from the house they were just at.