Chapter 6. Don't Be Such A Baby (Sky)

This was a crazy day. I can safely call it one of the weirdest in my life, and it is not over yet. At least I am finally done with work for today and slowly dragging my feet up the stairs to my penthouse. I somehow survived Jason Marchetti... again.

   "Hey, baby." Mom's voice is cheerful and enthusiastic. "How was your first day? Was daddy good?"

   She is always like that. Nothing can ruin her sunny disposition. The woman has achieved everything she dreamed of, and while some people tend to find problems in any situation however favorable, she is of the kind who sees only the positive. In the case of her marriage, the benefits are more than obvious. Happiness is oozing from her. I sit on a step and adjust the phone to my ear. Conversations with my mother usually last for half an hour at best. That is when she is not very talkative. My stomach is rumbling, but the takeaway will not arrive for forty more minutes, so I've got plenty of time. I loosen my tie and prepare for a detailed interrogation and the inevitable subsequent psychoanalysis.

   "It depends on what you mean by saying 'good'," I answer tentatively. Mom finds no flaws in her husband, so it is useless to point out any. "He was civil. Actually, he stood up for me to my new boss who didn't want to hire me at first. I mean, the guy didn't want an assistant at all, but after we talked, he changed his mind."

   "But of course!" Mom yells. "Who wouldn't want to work with a sunshine like you. He would be crazy not to hire you. I'm so proud of you, baby. What is he like?"

   "Umm... He is one of my fellow colleagues from Vienna," I mutter, hoping she won't ask for further details. "It turned out we knew each other."

   "How wonderful," she exclaims. "Were you friends?"

   "Nope." I roll my eyes. Mom knows very well that I had no close friends there. "He's a jerk."

   "Nooo. I'm sure you are exaggerating." She sounds sincerely convinced that I cannot be right. "He is no doubt a smart, young man. Your father wouldn't have promoted him to marketing manager otherwise. Massimo values him, and he does not readily give his approval. I've heard a lot of praise for the boy. You have a habit of perceiving people in a negative way simply because you are too shy. Open up a bit, Sky."

   "I'll try, mom," I instantly agree. There is no point in arguing. "We had a slight difference of opinions, but everything was very professional afterwards."

   "Glad to hear it." She sighs. My mother and my stepbrother always give me that deep sigh at least once when they talk to me. It seems they both think I am a hopeless case. "No more disagreements, Skylar. You might be the next CEO, but not before your father decides you are ready. Until then, that marketing manager is your superior. Be respectful."

   "I'll take Giulia out for dinner on Friday," I inform her just to change the subject.

   "Aww, that's so sweet of you, baby. My wonderful boy. She's been so sad since the divorce. I wish I was there to join you." Mom's enthusiasm is never-ending.

   I hardly believe she is so willing to cut her vacation in Mallorca short. She has been there with two of her closest friends for at least a month now, leaving no doubt in the local shop assistants that she has money to burn. My mother often travels around the world, with or without dad, and is equally satisfied in both cases. I am not saying she is a spendthrift. Amelia De Angelis is actually quite a reasonable person. But if you are married to a billionaire, why not enjoy it? Being the child of a billionaire, however, is an entirely different kettle of fish...

   Her lively voice interrupts the unhealthy course my thoughts are trying to take. "I'll call Giuls later to see how she's doing. Oh, I have a splendid idea. There is a brand new, very cozy restaurant on Via Ostilia. Take her there. You will love it. The food is superb. By all means try their Cacio e Pepe.* The best I've ever had. You know the place. It's right next to that lovely gelateria we found the day before you left for Austria. The one that offered the most scrumptious Cioccolato All'Arancia**, remember? A bit too much for me, but you loved it."