Chapter 15. A Hot Mess (Jason)

We are finally in my office. Skylar immediately presses his back against the tightly closed door and refuses to take another step inside, looking like a rabbit in a pit trap. He points an accusing finger at me and begins to rant, barely catching his breath, "That was not what I was told about this job. Dad was right when he said you were prone to impulsive, reckless decisions. Where are my three months of training? What about the other members of your team? You have five employees. What's up with you, dude? Why have you been constantly on my ass since I got here?"

   "Whoa! Our fluff ball is walking on the wild side." I flash a big grin, which apparently annoys him even more.

   "Fluff what?" he screeches. 

   "Ball," I repeat, trying to hold back my laughter. I should tick him off more often. What a lovely hot mess. "How does your father know so much about me? I agree with him. However, in my defense, I have to say that my lack of inhibition has helped me most of the time."

   "I... ugh... might have mentioned... a few things about you..." It is hard to tell if Skylar is lying because he is always nervous, but in this case, I do not doubt it.

   "So, you told daddy about your new, bad boss," I ask and lean against the door with my palms on either side of him, caging him between my arms. Sky's cheeks flush to the extreme. His breathing quickens. I can not resist pushing it a little bit further. "You've seen nothing yet, senior Jones. I can be reeeealy badddd."

   He stares at me with unblinking eyes for a few electrified seconds and suddenly turns his head to the right and bites my arm.

   "What the fuck?" I yell and jump back, gazing in disbelief at the wet mark on my sleeve.

   "Oh, my God! I am so sorry!" Sky grabs my wrist and starts rubbing the bitten spot with a shaking hand. "Did I hurt you? I am going crazy... obviously... Oh, God! I must be going crazy. There can't be any other explanation... Being around you is bad for my mental health. My brain is malfunctioning. I just couldn't get something my brother said this morning out of my head."

   "What did your brother say?" I ask curiously. The truth is that I hardly felt the bite. My reaction was only one of surprise. But the boy has a point. I act weird around him, too. We need to do something about it. This is ridiculous.

   "If you're pressed against the wall, bite," he mumbles. "Luca did not mean it word for word, of course. You did press me against the wall, though... literally."

   "I am sorry. I went too far." I drop into my chair and show him the one across the desk. "Let's calm down, shall we? It was a nerve-racking meeting. I sincerely apologize for everything that happened. Sky, I really need your help. I know you were supposed to go through the standard training course. Unfortunately, we do not have the time. You will learn out in the field. I will help you every step of the way, I swear, and will behave much more professionally from now on. My team currently works on five major marketing projects. They are already bogged down with tasks. I am trying to be everywhere at once... Sorry, I have no other choice but to entrust you with this one."

   "Why don't you tell fathe... Fuck!... The Big A that you need more people?" Skylar asks. He has finally managed to brace himself after drinking two bottles of water while fanning himself with my desktop calendar. "The CEO is a reasonable person. He will not refuse if you explain the situation."

   "I did." I hand my poor assistant another bottle from the fridge. "He gave me you."

   "Me?" He opens the third bottle and takes a sip. "I see. And what exactly do you expect me to do?"

   "First of all, I want you to stop freaking out," I quickly answer. "Everything will work out. I promise. Here is what I am going to tell the agency. You and Francesca, their creative director, will develop a completely new concept for the cosmetic brand, based on your experience with cruises. You have conclusive edit powers. Nothing goes into the final project presentation without your personal approval. You decide about Mauricio as well. I think you better meet up with the guy and see first hand if he is what we need. The party-coloured faux fur clothes are certainly going away."

   "I am not very sociable," Sky interrupts me. "The very thought of interacting with a fashion model makes me break into a cold sweat. I usually have no idea what to say when people ask me questions either, and I blurt out nonsense at the most inopportune moment. You saw it."

   "Your honesty is my greatest advantage," I assure him. "The corporate world has not corrupted you yet. I trust you completely."

   "Ok?" he utters under his breath, more like a question than an agreement. "Jason, are you sure? I mean, like one hundred percent sure?"

   "Yes, of course I am," I firmly say. "Let's talk about your salary now. Since you will do much more than a secretary, I will raise it..."

   "Oh, no, no, no," he vigorously protests. "It will only make me even more anxious... and if I screw something up, I will feel super guilty... you know, because you give me so much money... Let's keep to my contract and talk about this in six months... if I do a good job... I mean, if I don't die out of trepidation..."

   "You'll be just fine." I stand up and hold out my hand. "Welcome to the team, Sky."

   "I will regret this," he groans, but takes my hand and awards me with a hesitant smile.

***

A/N

Hello, at the end of Chapter 15.

Thank you so much for reading and supporting ❤️❤️❤️

There is a pulpable tension between the boys.

Do you think the main reason is the work stress? 😉

How will Sky cope with the responsible task?

Have fun, share your thoughts, and don't forget to vote if you liked the chapter.

Love: Anny

Photo by feedough from istockphoto.com

Photo by Tippapatt from istockphoto.com