poem 14

we'd met in high school, his cousin, one of my close friends, had introduced us the summer before sophomore year. we had been so nervous, we hardly talked the whole night, but I hadn't been able to take my eyes off you. your brothers girlfriend kept whispering to me how nervous you had been to meet me, and how nervous he was now. usually he was much louder. I had been excited that you were as nervous as me and I kept stealing your hat all night. (I'm really a terrible flirt in person, stealing things is how I expressed my affections towards you.) that night after you left you texted me telling me how you felt, in all caps of course, and we started dating soon afterwards.
I was your first girlfriend, your first kiss ever. we dated through high school, and moved north of our hometown after graduation while I attended a conservatory for music.
one day, seven years after we'd met, we were playing video games in our little apartment fit for two. I was in the blue beanbag chair, his back resting on my legs, our usual position for such activities, when you paused the game. your game had been off, and I had whooped you several times in the past hour of playing. "what? can't handle it?" I smirked. "no," he replied. he turned his body around to face me. "I've just been thinking. you know we've been together for like, ever now." I nodded. he got up onto one of his knees and I watched in awe. "well I don't want to just call you my girlfriend anymore. I want you to be my wife. you were my first girlfriend, and you are my world. I love you." I had tears by then. I had spent the last seven years devoted to this man, and I would have so many more. "yes, of course yes." we both grinned, kissing for the thousandth time in the past seven years. "I love you." I whispered against his lips, "I love you." he replied.

this is what I've been searching for.

-just a dream I had[a•m]