poem 26

in this world there are the people who find their one and only in high school and that is the person they end up marrying and when they're thirty-seven living in a white picket fence three bedroom house in the burbs the only thing holding this five person family together is the memory of what first love was like in high school and the mother and the father look at each other and they search for those high school sweethearts but all they see is an aged version of their lover and in this case unlike wine aged is never good and then there are the people in this world who meet their twelfth lover of the month but instead of meeting them in a dimly lit club they meet them in French lit in the hazy unflattering fluorescent bulbs of a college lecture hall and instead of going home with them they go to coffee with them because it's all they can afford and at twenty-two they have a small family-only wedding in the backyard of the house one of them grew up in and they buy a small apartment barely big enough for two and these are the people up at one a.m. dancing to Louis Armstrong with no words being spoken but the language of their forever young minds and aging bodies but then there are the people who fall for every pretty face and every pretty soul and these are the people who fall for the lovely smell of a coffee stained button up at the library and the sun glancing off the glasses of the pretty face on the bus and these people will be heartbroken and they will be hurt but they are the ones who love so fearlessly and so willingly that their life will always be filled with the love of those around them because a willingness to stand up and face the world saying "I will love again" makes anyone beautiful.

-I will love again {a•m}