45 | Aurora

AURORA'S POV

Isa lang si Mira at si Athena?

Is that why they seem so similar to each other? Is that why Mira and Amari act the same way?

I hid in the shadows using my butterflies. If I run away now, they would definitely notice me.

"I never wanted to leave you, my child-"

"And yet you did... you left me to take care of someone else's daughter." Bigla akong napatigil.

Ako... ako ba ang tinutukoy niya?

"I never meant to, for it was my responsibility." I admit. It hurt me when she said those words. "But I never regretted it... because that child had no one but me."

Nakita ko ang ekspresyon ni Amari. Mukhang nasaktan siya. "Paano naman ako? Didn't I matter to you? Anak mo rin ako, Athena..."

Base sa mga sinabi ni Athena, siya nga si Mira. Si Mira na nag-alaga sa'kin, si Mira na tinuruan ako...

At si Mira na iniwan ang kanyang sariling anak para mabantayan ako.

It all makes sense now.

Kaya ba ganoon na lang ako tingnan ni Amari? Dahil pakiramdam niya ay inagaw ko ang kanyang ina mula sa kanya?

If only I knew...

"I wanted to hate Aurora..." Amari sounded like she was on the verge of breaking down. "That day, at the mall, when you asked us if we took care of her, deep inside... I wanted you to show me the same love."

"I-I'm sorry, child... I'm sorry for leaving you..."

Iniwas ko ang tingin ko sa kanila. Napatakip ako sa aking bibig para hindi nila marinig ang mga hikbi ko.

I regret everything. If only I knew Amari was left alone, waiting for her mother, I would've convinced Athena to go back to her own daughter.

After all, she's not mine to keep.

It felt like reality had just slapped me hard. Yeah, right...

She's not my mother. She's someone else's.

"I wanted to hate her, and I did at some point..." Amari's voice sounded so painful. "But I realized we were just the same, we just wanted love."

"The difference is... you chose her and not me. And I understand," dagdag niya.

"I never chose anyone, child!" Athena's voice roared. I've never seen her this mad. "There was never a day where I never thought of you!"

"I love you the most, Amadea."

Habang patagal nang patagal, mas lalo akong nasasaktan sa mga narinig ko pero naisip ko na wala naman akong karapatan.

Ako ang dahilan ng lahat nang ito.

"Why did it have to be her? I can't hate her! I wanted to, but I couldn't... because I understood why you chose her..."

"And not someone like me."

Every word she said was like an added thorn to my body. It pricked me deep and painful to the point where I questioned reality itself.