A Night With Glaze Lilies [38]

"Lumine, can you come help me with this, please?" You call out to the other side of the door, assuming that your friend had remained outside to wait for you to finish up. "...Lumine?"

There was no answer despite the fact that you were hearing faint footsteps from other people passing by the door, and everyone was getting busy with the upcoming night banquet a day after the soirée for Xingqiu's parents on their parting for another business trip.

You sigh as you look at your back from the reflection of the mirror. Your evening outfit hasn't been fully zipped up yet and it was starting to annoy you.

Yan and the other maids had done a great job in doing your hair and makeup. They wanted to assist you with wearing your clothes but you refused—so this was more likely your fault now that they were busy doing something else.

A knock on the door made you snap back to reality.

"[Name], are you ready to leave?" It was Xingqiu.

You see yourself scowl in front of the mirror and reached for the zipper on your back in an attempt to zip it up yourself. You did manage to do it—but not quite fully. It didn't matter anyway since the difference wasn't that noticeable.

After putting on your coat, you open the door and see Xingqiu with the outfit you picked for him—he didn't question your taste when you suggested it three days ago—and now that you've fully seen him wearing the suit, you silently applaud yourself for picking a good outfit.

"Your presence brightens the room a lot more than usual." Xingqiu greets you with a warm smile—but not warm enough for you to appreciate his compliment. "I'm certain that every single person will be looking at you in awe tonight."

"And you look... decent." You look away to try and keep your glare to yourself.

He chuckles at your reply and offers his arm to you, which you refused by raising a hand. "Many thanks. It was you who chose my outfit after all, so I'm not surprised."

The two of you started to walk outside the residence, preparing to leave for the party.

"You sure are talkative tonight." You grunt and his smile remains unfazed.

"Is that so? Unfortunately, I don't see any difference." He says and you ultimately gave up on communicating with him.

Lumine and Paimon were going to be late since they had a lot more going on with their lives; fighting monsters, completing commissions, and the like.

Meiyin, however, was already at the venue. She pestered into wanting to join you and Xingqiu earlier but you refused and waited for her to leave before you started making preparations for yourself. Of course, Xingqiu had no idea that this had happened—you didn't want to, because he would have probably given in to Meiyin's persistence and you didn't want that. It's bad for you and Xingqiu's image as a couple.

"Is it really necessary for us to travel by carriage? We can just use the waypoint, you know." You look up at Xu who was standing outside the entrance of the manor with a carriage that was ready to go beside him.

"It's a formality, my lady. Lady Ningguang was the one who provided transportation so it's crucial that you accept her hospitality." Xu replies softly and opens the door for you and his master.

You let out a small "hm," before accepting Xu's hand to help you enter the vehicle. "I thought as much."

Xingqiu sits beside you and the three of you exchange pleasantries before the coachman announces the departure.

"Have a lovely night, Lady [Name] and Master Xingqiu." Xu smiles and raises his hand to wave you and your fiancé goodbye.

The ride was uncomfortable mostly on your part since you haven't adjusted to Xingqiu's presence with just the two of you in a tight space yet. He didn't seem bothered at all since he kept himself busy with a book, so you end up turning away from him to look at the sight from outside as the carriage moved and the horses clicked their hooves on the ground.