Trouble At Deertrack Heights (Chapter 10)

Y/n's POV

After you head back to your quarters with Lux, you could make out the sun rising overhead. When you entered, all of your Pokemon looked panicked and worried before seeing you. After they did, they all rushed towards you happily. "Woah! I guess I worried you guys, eh?" You laughed lightly and calmed them all down. "We were so worried! We didn't know if anything bad happened!" Maple yapped worriedly. "Hey, I think I understood you Maple!" You reached down and picked her up, Maple's eyes were shining and her tail started to wag. "Really?! I thought you could only understand Lux!" Maple smiled brightly. "Hmm.. I honestly have no idea how I'm able to do this.." You thought for a moment. "But hey! Makes it easier to understand you guys, right?" You smiled and Maple nodded. Stovetop nudged your side lightly and you pet her muzzle gently. Feather perched on your head, chirping happily. 

You were talking with Lux and Maple when a few knocks were heard at your door. You opened up your door and found Rei standing there, a bit away from the door though. "Ah, Y/n! Good morning!" Rei happily greeted you. "Morning!" You greeted back as basically all of the other of your Pokemon came out of your quarters into the warm morning sun. "Ah, I wanted to ask you something Y/n.." He started and you tilted your head slightly. "Before I go meet Mai about that request, do you mind showing me how you do in battle?" He questioned, and you nodded happily. "Sure! I wouldn't mind. Besides, it can be a good chance for some of these fellas to get experience." Rei brightened a bit and nodded. "Great! I'll be at the training grounds." He smiled and ran off. 

"You like him, don't you?" Maple asked with a cheeky little smile. You whipped around flustered. "W-What?! We're just Survey Corps members!" You defended yourself, though you blushed a bit. "C'mon!! It's so obvious!" Lux chimed in, and the rest of the gang started to snicker. "PFFFT- NAHHH HAHA, LOOK AT THE TIME! WE GOTTA GO TO THE TRAINING GROUNDS!" You said loudly, turned on your heels and began to walk fast to the training grounds. "And see your future boyfriend?" Maple and Lux said in almost unison. "NOT MY BOYFRIEND!" You whisper-yelled at them while your face burned a bright red. "Sure, sure." They snickered again before beginning to walk towards the training grounds.

You made your way over to the training grounds where Rei was waiting. His Pikachu was by his side so Lux went up to greet him. The rest of your Pokemon filed behind you. You walked up to Rei. "Thanks for taking a minute for me. I know your plate is full right now." He sighed and you dismissed it with a wave of your hand. "Not a problem! I'll always be able to help you when you need it." You smiled and Rei smiled back lightly. You swore you saw a little bit of blush there. "I-I'm going to be straightforward with you about something." He began. "Everything alright?" You tilted your head slightly. He sighed. "I don't understand how anyone can take on Pokemon in battle!" He looked disappointed. "I-I know I'm supposed to be a Survey Corps member, and I've even got my own partner, but I just can't do it!" He blurted out. You looked at him sympathetically. He began rambling, he was obviously bothered by this. "And-and really, when right down to it, Pokemon are terrifying, right? Why should this-" He looked down at Pikachu. "-thing be able to fire electricity?" Pikachu turned to face Rei with an upset look. Sadness? Disappointment? You didn't know. "Biga!" Pikachu said. Lux nudged you. "Translation; Wow, okay, rude!" Lux translated dramatically. You snickered silently and pat Lux on the head. He blepped in response. "But watching you at work completing all those research tasks convinced me." He took a deep breath, exhaled and turned to face you. "If I want to do my work as a Survey Corps well, my partner and I have to be a team." His slightly distraught face turned into a determined one very fast. "And our first step to being a real team... Is to battle your team!" He finished, and Pikachu got into a battle position. You smiled and laughed a bit. "Ah, personal growth! Love to see it. Alright Rei! Lets get battling!" You said proudly as the both of you took opposite sides of the battleground.