Chapter 06

My head bumps against the wall and I groan in pain, glancing at Cain as he takes a step back and chuckles at me. "I wasn't spying." I hiss and begin walking away from Jasper and Coral, Cain following close behind.

"Then what would you call someone hiding behind a wall and listening in on her husband and friend?"

I spin around to glare at him, "Do you hate me or something?"

Cain tilts his head in amusement, "Why would I hate you?"

"Giving me those odd looks ever since my foot stepped into this place."

He slightly glares at me, "It's not 'odd looks,' I'm just trying to figure out if this memory loss is an act."

"An act?" I scoff and he suddenly grips my wrist.

How could he be so fucking stupid? How!? After everything I've been through, he just had to open that mouth of his. Cain follows as I head to my car, not wanting to hear any lousy explanation he makes up.

"Are you mad at me?"

"Shut up," I snap as the door unlocks and hop inside.

Cain holds it open, "It was a joke—half of it was anyways."

"Jasper doesn't take those kinds of things as a joke. You almost ruined everything for me," I grip the handle to shut the door but Cain protests.

"When are you going to tell me this plan? Huh?" He sounds pissed.

"Not now. Especially after what you pulled in there. Now let go."

"Make me. Or better yet, go to your sweet lovable husband to help you," he leans in closer towards my face, "I fucking dare you."

My hand shoots up to his cheek out of pure anger. Cain is momentarily stunned and backs away; having the chance for me to shut the door, turn on the engine, and go home.

I try to pull my hand away from Cain's strong grip, but it results in him smiling more. "There! That's the Serina I remember—always giving me and everyone else that look."

"You don't know anything about me."

"I know you better than you know about your precious self," he counters.

"Let go of me," I stutter and pull again.

"Or what?" He leans in and that memory replays in my head, "Yell for Jasper? Do you actually like him or are you forcing yourself because he's your husband?"

"What? That's not—"

"What's going on here?"

Jasper is by our left side, looking very confused with his arms crossed. Cain quickly lets go of me and slightly frowns, "We were just talking."

"Talking?" He raises his eyebrows and glances at me for answers.

I awkwardly laugh, "It was nothing. He was joking about something that wasn't too funny."

"Oh," his jaw clenches but gives me a soft look, "Coral wants to go eat dinner at a nearby restaurant. It's a two-minute walk from here."

"Yeah," I nod in agreement and Cain leaves without saying another word.

As we're walking downtown with Coral, Malik, and Cain a few feet ahead of us—laughing in their conversation—Jasper is holding my hand as we admire the buildings around us.

He lets out an exasperated breath as he asks, "What was Cain joking about?"

"Oh," I look around to avoid eye contact because I have no idea what to say to that. I know I should just tell him the truth, but it seems like he hasn't been very truthful with me either.