Chapter 10

It's been almost three days and Jasper has hardly spoken to me since. Who can blame him? After finding out your wife has been cheating on you for most of your marriage, I'm surprised he's still with me. Thank goodness, or else I would have gone crazy. The only time he does say a word to me is when food is being served or saying good morning/goodnight. I've been trying my best to give him the space that he needs, but I'm starting to miss him. Desperately.

He was also cheating on you with that woman at the bar. Don't you remember?

Oh yeah, I should have brought that up with him but for some reason: I don't believe he did anything with her. His expressions while she was trying to touch him were off as if he was disgusted by her. Maybe he was with that woman to cut me out of his head since he knew of my affairs? I'll ask him one of these days. Today is Jasper's day off and he left a while ago to pick up some groceries. I told him that I could go instead so he can rest, but he insisted on some head space. I'm in the living room watching a video of a couple doing a cute gender reveal when the breaking news from the TV scares me half to death.

"Unfortunately, the Redeemer strikes again. Early this morning, local police discovered the body of missing, twenty-five year old, Eleanor Bride in Evergrass National Park. People have confessed to her having multiple affairs and her husband is the prime—"

Her picture pops up from the screen and I think my heart ran out the door. It's her. The blonde woman Jasper was talking to at the bar. Coincidence? I quickly search up when she went missing and an article states Monday night. That's the same day I saw them together. What was he doing with her? She was having affairs? My head is spinning around to conclusions from conclusions. Then, something else hits me. Oliver Brown. I know who that man is now. He was another one of the Redeemer's victims last year—abused his wife and two children. Okay, now I'm freaking out here.

"A little into our relationship, you told me you had a grand plan to ruin your lovely husband's life. I never knew what, but that it'll be very beneficial for both of us—meaning lots of money and fame."

"People change when they want to stop doing what they're deeply passionate about because it's part of their life." He gazes at me, "I'm stopping for you."

"Residents are becoming teased without hearing from the Redeemer in almost two months. Others are convinced that he may have stopped once and for all. This has been the longest period without discovering a victim and police are questioning—"

Oliver Brown was just one of them. It's so weird because it's either Jasper or I flirting with them for hours, but that's when it stops. After all, I don't remember what happens next.

It's okay because it'll all end tonight. Oh and how much we'll enjoy it.

No. No. There's no fucking way. I'm just overthinking all of this, right? Because Jasper cannot be the Redeemer. He can't. Even if he is, and that's a big if, what the hell do I do about it? Confront him? The Redeemer kills cheaters and abusers and I apply to one of them. Would he kill his wife?

When Jasper arrived with the groceries, I helped him put it away in silence. I'm trying so hard not to look at him because I'm afraid. Truly. What if I'm overreacting? Oh gosh, but what if he is the serial killer that has been murdering people for two years? Meaning he started around our marriage. I even told him that I supported what the Redeemer did! What if he kills me as soon as I confess that I saw him with Eleanor Bride on Monday? What does a person even do in a situation like this!? I think I'm going to—

"Serina," Jasper is standing in front of me, "Let go of the bread."

I glance down to my hands gripping half a loaf of bread to a mush. Shit! I place it on the counter and he stares at me in worry but doesn't say anything more. Once everything is put away, I go to my room and grab the secret phone because I may have an idea of what the passcode could be. The Redeemer's first victim was discovered on February 15, 2020. Slowly, I input different ways for that date, and—it works! Oh my gosh! It worked! The home screen is black and there are no additional apps installed or any contacts. I press photos and multiple videos are blacked out; I press the most recent one.