Chapter 02

It's been a week since opening my eyes to this world, and it's finally time to go home. Jasper visited me every chance he got and even got in trouble with Angus because he was gone for too long. We would mostly talk about myself but never mention what our relationship was like, he thought it would be best to relive those moments once I was discharged from the hospital.

Turns out I'm twenty-three years old and my birthday was in February. Jasper and I have been married for two years but known each other since high school. My parents are divorced and I lived with my mom till the age of fifteen when she passed away in a terrible car accident—I took that news pretty hard when Jasper calmly informed me. Thankfully, my grandma took over guardianship but she lives in California so I haven't had the chance to talk to her. Other than that, we have no children and live fifteen minutes out of town. After testing to see if I still knew how to read and write, Angus decided it was time for me to go home today. Mia, the blonde nurse, was very happy for me. She's been great at helping me practice how to walk again; unfortunately, it's been a bit hard because of my sprained ankle but the crutches helped.

Mia brings a wheelchair into the room as I put on my shoes and coat. My face slightly falters, "No wheelchair. I want to use the crutches."

She shakes her head and pats the seat, "Dr. Dusana doesn't want you to fall on the way to the car. He'll be much more comfortable about the idea of using the crutches at home."

"Okay. Where is he?"

"He'll be here momentarily. Let's get you seated." She reaches out to help me but I pull up a hand to stop her. Mia hesitates but watches as I slowly stand up and sit on the wheelchair; there was a bit of pain, but nothing I can't handle.

"Do you need anything else before leaving?" Her sweet voice rings around the room that it makes me smile up at her.

"Thank you for everything. I hope to see you again."

She beams, "Your welcome. Once the ankle is feeling better, we can go shopping if you'd like?"

"That would be wonderful."

Jasper walks into the room wearing a black turtleneck with a dark grey trench coat. I'm too stunned to speak by how handsome he looks, it's the first time I've ever seen him in civilian attire. Mia's cheeks slightly flush, just like all the nurses who are near him, and heads out of the room without another word. Something stings in the pit of my stomach as I watch my husband bend down and grin, "You ready to get out of here?"

"Definitely."

Jasper hands me a pair of gloves, "It's chilly outside so put these on."

"Okay," he grabs the handlebars, pushing me out the door. We stroll down the hall and many eyes land on my face or blushing cheeks from Jasper. That sting returns but deepens as two nurses giggle like love-struck teenagers. I may not remember much of him, but he's still my husband and it angers me that people are like this at work. The man has an attractive face with nice lips and broad shoulders, so it doesn't surprise me. He could easily find other women if he wanted to.

"He's too good for her."

"How can he still be with someone like her?"

"Does he love her that much?"

"Look at them, still the perfect couple."

Their whispers are slowly drowning me, pulling me further into the void as hands snatch Jasper and take him to the surface. Away from me. Pulling us apart. The darkness grabs my throat, torso, hands, anything to keep me from reaching out to my husband. It's hard to breathe—hard to move or speak anymore.