Chapter 09

After a long day of work on a busy Monday, I decided to visit Jasper earlier than expected. We did agree Wednesday but I'm too curious as to why he was trying to cut me off so badly. I also talked with Angus, making sure Jasper doesn't hear about it, and he told me it was very sudden—that he didn't even know the hospital was low on staff or other things. That gives me more of a reason to be suspicious. It's almost six when I'm close to the hotel's destination, which was indeed an hour's drive but I enjoy it. Cain avoided me during work today but gave me odd looks and smiles. He seemed rather happy which was weird, even Coral was questioning it. Speaking of weird, Jasper hasn't replied to any of my messages all day. The last one he sent was yesterday saying goodnight but that was it. I hope he's okay and nothing bad happened.

The Baxtor Hotel finally comes into view as I park in the parking lots. It's nothing grand nor in poor condition, just a regular hotel for anyone. But the location is quite surprising since it's in the middle of the city with many stores, bars, restaurants, and tall buildings surrounding the place. I stroll inside and towards the reception desk, welcomed by a fresh rose scent, and politely greet the receptionist.

"What can I do for you today, ma'am?"

"Hello, my husband is staying here and I would like to know which room he is in?" I don't even know if that's allowed. "I'm surprising him."

She gives me a wary look before clicking on her computer, "What's his name?"

"Lee Jasper."

After a few seconds, she raised an eyebrow, "My apologizes but he isn't registered in this hotel."

"Are you sure?"

More clicks. "Yes, ma'am. Maybe he's in another hotel?"

No, that can't be. He said he was staying in this one. If he isn't here, then where has he been? Sleeping in the damn hospital? It doesn't make any sense.

"Are there any other Baxtor Hotel nearby?"

"No, ma'am. This is the only one in the city."

Great. What the hell do I do now? It's already getting a bit late to go all the way back home so I purchase a room for the night and call Jasper again. No response. What is he even doing? Bad thoughts begin to enter my mind: what if he's cheating on me? Or he somehow found out about my affairs and is now avoiding me? If any of that is true, I'm not sure what I'll do with myself.

After an hour or two, of hanging out in the hotel and calling Jasper, I decide a drink is needed. Something to take my mind off of this mess. Thankfully, the receptionist recommended me some spots that are a walking distance so I look for the one that seems more appealing. One of them does catch my eye, it's name is The Rusty Anchor. It sounds so familiar but I've never been there before. Never mind that, I walk inside and there's a bustling crowd of young people drinking and dancing. Everything looks fairly new here and has a rustic touch to it. I stroll to the small bar and order a drink.

"Hello," an older man sits beside me as he orders. He has a long brown beard and thin hair, maybe in his late forties or so.

"Hi."

"What's a pretty lady, like yourself, doing here?" The man keeps his gaze forward.

"Just enjoying myself." My arms rest on the counter.

"Always good to do, just be careful around here."

I glance at him, "Why is that?"

"You're new to this city?"

"Is it that obvious?"

He lightly chuckles, "Yeah. Don't you know about the Redeemer?"

"Everyone does." What does he have to do with me enjoying myself?