Chapter 7

The next morning, I woke up at 7:30 a.m. I was really happy this morning. I grabbed a pair of shorts and a t-shirt then made my way to the bathroom to get ready for the day. As I looked at myself in the mirror, I smiled. I haven't been this happy in a while. Benny hasn't asked me to be his girlfriend yet and I don't know if we rushed into things last night at the sandlot. I really liked him though. I touched my lips imagining the kiss again. That was my first kiss and if he does ask me to be my girlfriend, it would be my first boyfriend.

"Hey, hurry up in there would you," I heard a yell from outside the door breaking my thoughts. It was Scotty.

"Sorry," I yelled back. I started brushing my teeth, put on my clothes, and brushed my hair. When I was finished, I opened the door to an impatient Scotty.

"About time Liz," he said. I just gave him a small grin and went to my room to get my socks.

I went to the dining room for breakfast and looked up at the clock. When I looked up at the clock on the wall, it was 8:00 am. My stomach growled and I quickly went to the kitchen, hungry. I saw Susan finishing up cooking breakfast. I also saw that my dad was home too. That made me a little confused, he was always at work.

"Mornin' dad, Susan," I said to the both of them with a huge smile.

"Well someone is happy this morning." Dad grinned at me and I grinned back.

"Good morning, Elizabeth." Susan smiled at me as she placed a plate of bacon and eggs in front of me.

"Why aren't you at work dad?" I looked at him as I poured myself a glass of orange juice.

"I start late today. At 10:00am. Right after breakfast, I'll be going."

"Oh that's cool. Make sure you have a great day, alright dad?" I looked up to him and saw that he had his eyebrows raised.

"What?"

"You seem really happy right now," he stated with curiosity showing in his eyes.

"Do I?" I asked him sheepishly. To be honest, I was happy. Dad just looked at me with a confused expression. He was about to reply until another voice cut us off.

"Mornin' everyone," Scotty said with excitement.

"Good morning," Susan, dad, and I said together.

"Why do you seem excited Scotty?" Susan asked him with a smile. Dad and I looked at him as he smiled.

"I'm just excited to go to the sandlot that's all. They are great guys. Especially Benny."

As he said the last sentence, he looked at me. I smiled up at him because I agreed to everything he just said. We all ate breakfast in silence. After we were finished, I quickly helped Susan wash the dishes and said my goodbyes to my dad. After that, I looked at the clock and noticed it was 9:15 am. I called out to Scotty so that we could head to the sandlot, but there was no reply. I looked around the house and noticed that he left already. What a ditcher. When I got outside, I didn't see Benny or Ham waiting as usual. I looked back down at my watch and saw that it was almost 9:30. I quickly made my way to the sandlot slightly annoyed that Scotty didn't tell me that he was leaving. As I got there, I saw them under the dugout talking. When I got to them, I saw that Benny was missing. They all looked up at me and grinned. I put my hands on my hips and looked at Scotty.

"Why didn't you tell me you were leaving?" I gave him an annoyed look.

"Sorry, Benny wanted all of us to come a bit earlier."

"Why wasn't I informed about this?"

"Just cause'," Kenny said. I looked at him and saw that he was smirking as well as the other guys.