Chapter 3

Athena

Harry's hearing was today, and he had gotten off of all charges. He wasn't expelled and would be returning with us this year. I held such a relief at the thought. I had been worried about it since I found out. Most of the day I spent annoying dad and fooling around with Tonks. That usually led to me getting on everybody's nerves. I hadn't really seen Fred yet, and I was scared I'd upset him last night. I decided, in an attempt at reconciliation, I would find him and talk about it.

"Molly, do you know where Fred is?" I asked her; she only shook her head.

"I haven't seen him since breakfast. Him and George may be in their room. You could check there, dear." She smiled. I gave a nod of appreciation.

"Alright, thank you." I said and walked away, heading up the stairs to the twins bedroom. I walked into their room without knocking. I usually didn't. I saw them laying on their beds. They both looked up at the same time, and George smiled. Fred did not. "Can I talk to you?" I asked him, not paying much mind to his brother.

He stood up without a word and walked out into the hall. I followed silently, closing the door behind us. "Yes?" He asked.

"Fred, what's wrong?" I asked him, grabbing his hands. He barely acknowledged it. I tried to get him to meet my gaze, but he seemed distant. It wasn't the Fred I was used to.

"Oh I don't know, maybe you could answer your own question. You've been distant with me ever since I got here." He said, as if bored with the conversation already. "I thought maybe you'd like to share some bigger news, too." He said.

"What d'you-" I cut myself off, realizing what he meant. "You don't mean about me becoming Head Girl?" I asked.

"That, and why the hell have you been so secluded lately? It's like you dont want us in your lives anymore." He said, coldly.

"I'm not sure what you mean, Freddie." I tried again to meet his eyes, but he wouldn't let up.

"You barely talk to anyway but your dad anymore. Not even Remus! I'm worried. George is worried, and so is your godfather, and everyone else. You haven't even stopped for a moment to think about anybody else." He informed me.

"Honestly, I didn't even realize I had been acting that way, Fred." I said quietly. "I'm sorry, I really am. I didn't realize what I was doing. I missed dad so much I just wanted to spend some time with him." I said, kissing his cheek. He didn't respond to it in the slightest.

"Athena, you've been withdrawn from us since last year. Since everything has happened, you've been turning into a different person. You're not the same Athena we grew up with." He explained.

"I'm sorry, Freddie. I'll do better, you just have to give me some time."

"Maybe time is what we need, then. Maybe you need some space. I think I do, too."

"Are you breaking up with me?" I asked, trying to stay composed.

"I think you need it. You still have things to get over. You have a lot of healing to do, and we aren't growing together anymore. We're two completely separate people. We're distant, and we barely give each other the time of day anymore." He said. His eyes went soft as they finally met my own. I felt tears stinging at my eyelids as I took a step back from him.

"It's been more than two years, Fred. You're just giving up on that?" I asked, not believing what he was trying to tell me. "You promised you'd always be there. It was supposed to be me and you against the world, remember? We made a promise. What about what you told dad. You said you wanted to start a family with me someday." My tone held hurt. I was getting defensive.