Burnin' for You || M. Avdol

"L-Lionel! Don't peck at Prince, you have your own food over here! Michael, please get down from there!" You gently used your foot to push the two chickens away from each other, and picked up another feathery lump from the roof of their coup. Lionel finally left Prince alone, but Michael started to steal his food, which caused the younger chicken to ruffle up some. Sighing, you kneeled down to the ground with a bowed head. You would've never expected handling poultry to be so frustrating.

"Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a chicken momma," It came off as a defeated moan, as you rubbed away the beginning signs of sweat off the nape of your neck.

The heat of the sun abruptly disappeared, but before you could investigate why, a soft kiss was placed on your hot cheek. "The chickens can be a handful, don't keep it against you. In time they'll learn to listen to you just as they do for me."

"Ah, Habibi! You're back so early!" Avdol stood behind you in all his glory, thick lips curled into a loving smile for you. You wrapped your arms around his sturdy frame for a hug, which he gently reciprocated, mindful of your heat exhausted form. "Let's get you inside, too much sun isn't good for you, my dear."

"But– what about the chickens?" You turned back but it was too late, they had disappeared behind the coupe fences.

"They will be fine, I'll check on them later. For now, I need you to rest."

"Rest! Out here? Nonsense. There's so much that needs to be done!"

"And we will do it later, together. Once the sun has set and you've gotten a drink." Your husband had no problems picking you up to carry you back to your home. The trip was quick, it felt that way at least with your husband's beautiful voice to fill in the quiet journey. He promptly dropped you into the soft cushions of the couch before he snuck into the kitchen for water.

"I don't think you should be out by yourself like that for a while. What would happen if you collapsed with no one with you?"

"Oh, Mohammed, there's no need to fret. I know how to pace myself. I wasn't out there long! Those chickens really know how to tucker someone out, though."

He shook his head before offering you an iced cup of water. It tasted delicious, like nothing else as it flowed down your parched throat in gulps, which Avdol had to fuss over. "It's not just you that I'm worried about... When you go outside, you're not really alone, remember?"

His words made you thoughtlessly rub at your protruding belly. He had a point... If you were to get hurt, you'd be putting the baby in danger, too...

"You're thinking about it... I can tell." Mohammed had a soft smile on his lips as he bent lower to your level between your legs. He took your smaller hands into his own, massaging the back of your palms with his thumbs.

"Maybe," You pouted childishly. Just because he was your husband doesn't mean you liked it when he was right. Which was most of the time. "Fine– I give. You're right. Again." He chuckled deep from his chest, in that special way that made your heart warm up, and kissed your cheek. The hand that was on your right made its way to your belly to cup it from under your shirt. He was so gentle as he rubbed soft circles into your skin with his warm touch. You fell into silence watching him admire your bump. He looked so sweet and happy to be here with you. Your fingers followed the trails of his scalp showing from between his tight Bantu knots as you fantasized about the future with this man.

"I hope she has your eyes," You suddenly speak. From his place in your lap, a single warm eye opened to peer up at you, just proving your point more. "Such pretty eyes... Or maybe your hair, so I can help her braid it every night. Your hair is also gorgeous."

"And who says they'll be a girl?" He taunts you. "What if they're a little boy?" "And who told you I wouldn't spoil my little boy, too?" You smugly fought back. "Though, I know it's a girl. It's my mother's intuition."

"Wanna bet?" Mohammed's stupidly attractive face pressed closer into yours. His nose rubbed against yours and your lips threatened to touch. You hummed in thought, weighing your options while rubbing your thumb against his soft mouth. "Sure. Two kisses says I'm right."

"My love, you can have those anytime you need." He cut the invisible boundary between the two of you, and you shared a sweet kiss.